Help Wanted

Bob0710

Registered
Registered
I am new to operating machine tools and am looking for a retired shop/manual arts teacher or retired master machinist in the Marion County, Florida area to show me the ropes. I just purchased a Hendey 14x30 lathe and a Bridgeport Series 1 variable speed mill. I can probably figure out how to run them myself, but I think some in-person professional instruction would be helpful to cut down on the learning curve and to help prevent me from making some potentially expensive mistakes. Might help to preserve some valuable (at least to me) body parts as well. So, if you are a guy (or gal) who fits the description and would like to make some extra dough, please reply and I will get in touch with you. Thanks

Would your local junior College or adult ED have a basic machine shop class you could take. Back in the day the machine shop class I took at Sierra College turned out to be useful and inexpensive.

Not much traffic in this section but here it is,,,,

Not knowing your machining experience I am going to recommend a text book I have found very useful. Machineshop Operation and Setups by Lascoe, Nelson & Porter. 4th edition. And there is also How to Run a Lathe by South Bend. Enjoy your new tools and remember this website is loaded with the people you describe that are willing to answer questions, no matter how basic you feel the question may be.
Have a good day
Ray

Back