Help with 7/16 - 14 tpi LH Part, Acme

Starocks71

Registered
Registered
I am a new member with an immediate need, that I would certainly appreciate some guidance or assistance on how to proceed with a problem.

I have a old Boice Crane table saw, about 75+ years old which has a brass nut on the blade elevation mechanism which has stripped out over the past 33 years. I bought is second hand (maybe third hand) in 1985 and had to replace the part at that time. Now I cannot find a machine shop which can assist in my area Spartanburg, SC.

The taped hole will be in the center lengthwise of the stock -- length of 0.875 in, diameter of 0.625.

We were going to use 360 Brass alloy, which I can supply cut to length.

The tap needed is an Acme 7/16 - 14, left hand thread. This has been verified at our machine shop at work as well as an "old time" machine shop in this area. (This machine shop was a pleasant comparison to the one at work. Looked like it meant business as compared to the one at work which the safety guy has required plexiglass barriers or laser curtains over the "business end" of lathes, milling machines, drill presses.....)

I would like to get two of these and would be more than happy to pay for this service. The brass piece in question is shown on the threaded shaft in photos.

Thank you.

1523642076912.png
1523642100648.png

It would seem that the machine shop could single point that thread easily, I know that I could, but would need to have the screw to fit the thread.

Thank you. I will check with the machine shops on Monday to find out if they can do the single point method. I am hesitant to ship the one of a kind part. Not from who might be on the other end perspective but the "getting there and back" issue. I have had two instances in the last couple of years. One with porch pirates in which I had ordered a brick of ammunition from aimsurplus.com and I never found it. UPS (I think it was) indicated that it was delivered but it was not around. The other was more personal. I had left my red bone coon hound mix (awesome dog) out for the day as I had to be in Charlotte for surgery. When we arrived home later than night, the dog happily greeted us with a box in her mouth. The outer wrapper had been shreaded and drooled into a state in which it was unreadable. All we could tell was that it had been shipped to our address -- carrier insisted our address was correct. Inside were three pretty decent watches. I gave them away. I have also worked on some shipment security projects in my work and know some of the issues. Thank you. Hope our paths cross again on this forum.

OK, hope you can work things out; one thing that just crossed my mind is that it would be possible (also) to replace the screw with a vee thread version, for which a left hand tap would be easily available, 7/16 - 14 is standard, and I do have one.
So far as the issue of theft is concerned, there is a very secure situation, at least on my end, I live on a private road without through access, about .4 miles off the main road in a secure community.

McMaster Carr Chicago has both left hand acme nuts and threaded rod
Next day delivery here in Michigan

Back