Help with a switch identification for a HF 33686

JoatTX

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good afternoon y'all,

I am trying to replace the light switch :rolleyes: that currently powers my HF mill (a previous owner rewired it at some point in its life) and cannot identify the original switch that is supposed to be on the machine.

After looking at multiple pictures, videos, and postings on the internet and consulting the "wiring diagram" as provided in the manual from HF, all I can find is that it is a HZ5D. There are multiple versions of this switch available so I need to narrow it down a bit.

The motor on my machine is a YL90L-4. I am setting it up for 220V. The aforementioned previous owner removed the drum switch and replaced it with a light switch as well as rewiring the switch to the motor with a piece of an extension cord. The motor will turn on and run in one direction only set-up this way.

Would someone who has this mill (Central Machinery Milling/Drilling Machine ITEM33686) please pop the switch cover and provide the rest of the part number? (HZ5D-10/1.7 or HZ5D-40/7.5 or HZ5D-20/04 M08 or HZ5D-whatever)

If you can also tell me how it is wired and jumpered that would be a huge bonus.

Thank you in advance.

Joat

I think I recall helping another member with that very issue on the same machine- I'll check my notes
Are you able to post pictures? I think the HZ5D series switches are fairly common on Amazon and have a standard pinout/truth table
The only differences are the number of poles, positions and the current rating
-Mark

Thanks for the response. I can post pictures but, as I've removed the light switch and extension cord there is not much to show. I should have taken a picture of it before taking it apart but, I didn't think about it.

this is the connection block at the motor set for 110v service
20220813_114941.jpg

This is the motor plate
20221129_181328.jpg

I haven't ordered a new switch yet as I got a little confused as to which one I needed.

Joat

OK I see it's currently wired for 120 and you want to change it to 240. I also see that the original color coded wires from the motor are gone. No big deal. Give me a few and I'll post some info for you
-M
This diagram should work for you- you need to reconfigure the motor terminal straps as shown for 220/240 volts. Leave the capacitor wire on Z1 where it is.
The barrel switches are readily available on Amazon, just make sure it matches the contact connection table as shown. 20 amp contacts are fine.
Make certain when you get the switch that you understand how the terminals are numbered- use a ohmmeter to verify continuity if you are not sure.
Several jumper wires are required on the switch as you can see.
12pswitchHF33686.jpegrotarysw12tblu.jpg

Last edited:
First time out, it would be a good idea to disconnect the three wires to the motor, connect a ohmmeter to the two switch input wires where the power will go and operate the switch in all positions to make sure there is no short across the line. Better safe than sorry.
With that many terminals to connect it's easy to make a mistake

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. I'll get a switch ordered and get this hooked up.

I'll post the results when I'm done.

Thanks again.

Joat

@markba633csi

After looking at the picture you provided and to make sure that I understand what is going on...

The terminals that are jumpered together are:

1 to 3 to 5
7 to 9 to 11
2 to 4
6 to 8
10 to 12

and the 220vac L1 and L2 going to terminal 3 and terminal 9.
L1 to 3 (1,5)
L2 to 9 (7, 11)

Last edited:
Yep that's correct. The 220 vac L1 and L2 can connect to any of the three in the group, for example L1 could go to 1 or 3 or 5 since they are
all tied together.
Same with the even numbered terminals, the motor wire V2 can go to switch terminal 2 or 4 since they are tied together.
If you wanted to get fancy you could get some crimp spade lug terminals and go to town :) but not essential
-Mark
Incidentally if you need to reverse the motor rotation w/respect to the switch handle just swap the motor wires U1 and V2

Last edited:
Well got the switch ordered so it's in the hands of Amazon now...

Alright. Got it wired up and it's a good news, bad news situation.

Good news: It runs with the switch in both positions and does not run with the switch in the middle. No smoke, no pops no tripped breakers. I call that a success.

Bad news: the motor turns in the same direction regardless of the switch position.

I remember now why I usually leave electric work to others...lol.

J

After stepping back and looking at it with a fresh set of eyes, it now works correctly. I had a wire in the wrong place on the switch. After wiring the switch correctly it now turns in different directions with the switch in different positions. On to making chips!

Last edited:
Back