Help with a TP Electrical Rotary Phase Inverter

jschance

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a 13" South Bend Lathe, from the son of it's previous owner (who had passed away after several years of ill health). It's powered by a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor, and along with the lathe came a TP Electrical Rotary Phase Inverter. According to the son, this had been used to power the PO's equipment in several different shops and had been installed and moved by an electician friend.

The problem I've got is I have no idea how to wire this device, and there are no labels or markings on any of the wires attached to the unit (nor is there any attachement on the invertor to attach the lathe).

Is there some way to figure out what wires are for the 220v single phase in and which wires are for the 220v 3 phase out?

If I can't figure this out, my next thought is to go with a VFD to operate the lathe, but before I do that I want to make sure that the original motor is still functional.

I am not an electrician so I am not sure on the wires, but I believe you can check the wires for the ohms somehow to identify what wire number the wire is if there are no numbers on them. You might want to take the motor to an electric motor repair shop and have them do it. Many times I have found guys who wire houses don't have a lot of experience with machine tool industrial electricity issues. Once they figure it out I can tell you how to connect the wires.

on the 3 phase motor.
Connect wire numbers 4,5,6 together and wrap with tape.
Connect 1 phase power from your electrical switch to the 3/ph motor to wires 1 and 7 and your 3 phase machine, tape up,
Connect the other 1 phase wire from your electrical switch to the 3 / ph motor to wires 2 and 8 and another 3 phase to your machine. Tape up.
Connect the 3 /ph motor wires 3 and 9 to the last 3 phase to your machine

I would wrap a rope around the shaft to get it spinning and I have heard of guys spinning the shaft with there boot. But most have a small 110 volt motor attached to get it spinning or wire it somehow.I bet someone else know mre then me on here. If not go to an electric motor repair shop.

I build both of mine and if it has a control box get some close pictures and we can help you.

Paul

I recently picked up a 13" South Bend Lathe, from the son of it's previous owner (who had passed away after several years of ill health). It's powered by a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor, and along with the lathe came a TP Electrical Rotary Phase Inverter. According to the son, this had been used to power the PO's equipment in several different shops and had been installed and moved by an electician friend.

The problem I've got is I have no idea how to wire this device, and there are no labels or markings on any of the wires attached to the unit (nor is there any attachement on the invertor to attach the lathe).

Is there some way to figure out what wires are for the 220v single phase in and which wires are for the 220v 3 phase out?

If I can't figure this out, my next thought is to go with a VFD to operate the lathe, but before I do that I want to make sure that the original motor is still functional.

generally the wires powering the intended motor are labeled T1,T2,T3. usually red,black,white. your three phase out.
the input is usually marked L1,L2. for single phase input usually red,black.
hope it helps
mike:))

Back