Help with air compressor replacement motor

I retrofit that same HF compressor head onto my compressor about 12 years ago. It's a good unit. I did the math to get the speed close to it's rated max with my pulleys, so that part is good. The motor is a high mileage imported "5 HP" 230V/1PH, and it is definitely the weak link. Startup is fine, but as the pressure climbs the motor overheats and trips the thermal breaker on the motor after running for a while (30 mins continuous, depending on weather). I would recommend buying a little more power. It seems the 5 HP rating for the head means a real 5 HP on the shaft, because my motor simply falls short of doing what it should.

Last edited:
I built a compressor: used a 5 hp ,1725 WEG 220 volt motor single phase. It was vg quality at a decent price and has worked well for 5 years so far. If you want the best that is baldor, leeson or marathon with various levels of duty depending on how much you spend.
I sized the pulleys so rpm at pump is 900. The 2 cylinder piston Pump is much quieter(about 70 db), will last longer and runs cooler. My oil-less compressor drove me crazy with the noise. Total cost was under $500 and output is about 15 cfm at 90 psi. Always try to get the most cfm since you never know when you'll need it.

Back