Help with Allen Bradley 709 Magnetic Switch

Duplicate post, sorry...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help, I do appreciate it. I will give it a try.

Thanks again,

Joe
Using the link you provided as a starting point, I did some searching. Apparently, as Frank stated previously, this is a very old control. I just ordered what I believe is a coil that will work. I am grateful for the help that the both of you have provided.

Thank you so very much,

Joe

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 6
If you are replacing just the coil, make sure to clean all of the contacts in the starter. Mike

Yes I going to suggest you might have some oil in the contacts causing the smoke, clean well
-Mark

Lighter fluid or alcohol should be ok
I wouldn't use anything strong like brake cleaner or acetone- it might soften plastic pieces nearby
You just want a gentle degreaser

Last edited:
Lighter fluid or alcohol should be ok
I wouldn't use anything strong like brake cleaner or acetone- it might soften plastic pieces nearby
You just want a gentle degreaser
Ordered Tuesday, arrived today.

Allen-Bradley is a well known "Cadillac" of industrial controls. It will be necessary to change the coil on the starter to 240 volts. With AB, no big deal. The starter is designed for such modifications. Even though it's an older version, the cost of a coil will be insignificant compared to replacing the entire assembly. Continued use of the starter, as is, will eventually damage the contacts. It would be wise to replace the coil ASAP.

There are starters available that cost little more than the coil will cost. From WWGrainger down to Grizzly. But, in my own opinion, the AB starter is worth repairing. It's that good. . . Stay with AB if you can. I can only offer 50+ years dealing with them as a perspective.

Allen-Bradley is a well known "Cadillac" of industrial controls. It will be necessary to change the coil on the starter to 240 volts. With AB, no big deal. The starter is designed for such modifications. Even though it's an older version, the cost of a coil will be insignificant compared to replacing the entire assembly. Continued use of the starter, as is, will eventually damage the contacts. It would be wise to replace the coil ASAP.

There are starters available that cost little more than the coil will cost. From WWGrainger down to Grizzly. But, in my own opinion, the AB starter is worth repairing. It's that good. . . Stay with AB if you can. I can only offer 50+ years dealing with them as a perspective.

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight and many years of experience. I have stopped using the starter in it's current condition and have ordered a new coil from a vendor on Ebay. I should receive it next week and hopefully get this working properly.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help.

Joe

Back