Help with change gears, cutting 16tpi threads.

Opie_7afe

Registered
Registered
I have an old atlas 10D lathe need to cut 16tpi threads which is no big deal, get both 64t gears in the machine and they dont mesh at all meaning there's at least a 1/2" between them. Can the idler gear either touching spindle gear or the screw, but not at the same time regardless of the adjustments...makes no sense to me, and these threads need to be 16tpi as the part i made which took a good bit of time is tapped 3/4-16. I have to be doing something wrong..

Heres a picture

Attachments

• 15908750604048722136771500041985.jpg
    15908750604048722136771500041985.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
There needs to be two idlers in the gear train, that or a larger idler.

So, what tooth gear for the second idler? Im just going off of the chart on the lathe door and the one i found online. Both just mention those 2 gears only. With every other spot empty..

the number of teeth for gears used as idlers does not matter as long as the gears can connect the spindle and stud gear. Idlers do not effect the overall ratio of the gear train.

Aah ok, thought it would mess with the ratio..still wondering why they say nothing in the charts..must be in the molo but the one i have dont show the 10d. Thanks for your help

The lead screw is 8TPI. The center 64T gear is just an idler gear and has no effect on reduction and the extra gear with it is just a spacer. The 32T spindle gear driving the 64T lead screw gear cuts the lead screw speed in half related to the spindle speed giving you the 16TPI you need.

I got the threads cut, just threw a random gear in to the lower slot that meshed good and did a test cut...and with that done i need to fix my apron. The bracket for the carriage advance wheel was loose took apron off and the bracket is broken...first time i took it off and looks like this lathe was used mostly for wood so thats a positive...thanks again for the help and i learned something new.

Back