Help with change gears, cutting 16tpi threads.

First, although the terminology may be a little confusing, the 10D and earlier do not have a stud gear. The "Stud Gear" found only on the 10F models is a 16T/32T compound gear that is mounted on a fixed stud in a hole drilled in the headstock below and slightly to the left of the spindle. The threading chart for the 10D and earlier is part no, 9-99A (the 10F uses chart 10-99A). If you look at it again, it calls for a 96T idler gear mounted on the change gear bracket (AKA the Banjo) where it meshes with both the 32T Spindle Gear and the 64T Screw Gear. The screw gear that you have mounted is correct and is in fact a 64T gear. But you have the wrong idler installed. The chart calls for a 96T Idler Gear for 8 TPI through 16 TPI.

Ok, got what you mean, user error. i guess my eyes went right past the 96t gear listed... dont help the fact i cant open the door all the way..

OK.

What is wrong with the change gear cover? It should open well past 90 degrees.

Nothings wrong, just the location of the lathe, theres a really long cabinet next to the lathe

OK. If you later decide to become a Donor (any level) you will have access to Downloads. There is a PDF copy of the 10D and earlier 0-99A threading plate under the Atlas-Craftsman folder that you can download and print. Don't try to use 10-99A as the 10F and later machines don't use the 96T gear and have other differences between them and the 10D.

The serial number should be stamped into the top of the front way near the right end, along with sometimes prefix aor suffix letters. If your machine still has its nameplate, it will be on the rear of the bed. You might want to add your machine to the Atlas-Craftsman database by putting a description of it in the thread that is usually at the top of the Sticky area. We do not have too many 10D's on the list.

Back