Help with drum switch

Ok, so I believe I have it wired per your diagram. When I plug it in and turn the switch to the forward position I get nothing. When I turn the switch to the reverse position the motor spins.

I will give that a try. Thanks so much for being willing to help me with this.
So I think I have it hooked up as per your diagram. When I move the switch to the left (forward) position nothing happens. When I move the switch to the right (reverse) position the motor runs. For some reason I am not getting power at the forward position.

In the reverse position 1-2-4 terminals are connected along with 3-5-6. In the forward position 1-2-3 are connected along with 4-5-6.

Last edited:
Sounds as if one of the contacts isn't making- is the switch cover interfering somehow? Take it off for testing, but be careful. (pull the plug first)
-M
With power disconnected, visually inspect the drum switch contacts to see if any are broken or bent. With cover off, plug it back in and check for 120 volts AC at drum switch terminals 2 and 6 in the forward position.
Because there is so little room inside the drum switch, the wires sometimes get jammed up by the cover and push the contacts out of position

Last edited:
I have kept the cover off while testing it. I do have 120v at 2 and 6 in the forward position but still will not run.

That's really strange- are you getting any hum at all in forward or is it totally silent?
Post a close up picture of the switch with the cover off- a top view
And a shot of the motor terminal board please, from outside
-M
In the meantime, recheck the wiring matches post #9

Last edited:
That's really strange- are you getting any hum at all in forward or is it totally silent?
Post a close up picture of the switch with the cover off- a top view
And a shot of the motor terminal board please, from outside
-M
In the meantime, recheck the wiring matches post #9
Motor is quiet, no hum. I have attached photos of the switch and motor. It will be a bit confusing as the wire colors don't match anything. I just had to use what I had. I did do a continuity test to make sure they were like the diagram.

81021a.JPG81021b.JPG81021c.JPG

OK, let me peruse it for a bit- I'm sure there's a simple explanation
-M

I would check for 120 volts ac at the motor in forward, between the #1 post and the yellow wire. You'll need to pull the tape back to expose the yellow wire's terminal- use care. If you have alligator clip leads use them.
-M
The wires in the drum switch look like they could be getting tangled under the switch rotor- check that and re-position the wires if necessary
The drum switch you have is symmetrical, so this indicates a drum switch issue for it to work in one direction but not the other

Last edited:
I would check for 120 volts ac at the motor in forward, between the #1 post and the yellow wire. You'll need to pull the tape back to expose the yellow wire's terminal- use care. If you have alligator clip leads use them.
-M
The wires in the drum switch look like they could be getting tangled under the switch rotor- check that and re-position the wires if necessary
The drum switch you have is symmetrical, so this indicates a drum switch issue for it to work in one direction but not the other
Well I read through what we have done so far and went back and did a continuity test according to your diagram. It appears I had 1 and 4 switched at the motor. I switched them out and it appears to work as it should. Simply overlooked how they were hooked up. Again thanks so much for sticking with me on this.

Back