Help with Ellis dividing head

craptain

Registered
Registered
I have just acquired an Ellis dividing head in remarkably good and mostly complete condition. Photos show what I have. What I don't have, or think I don't have are collets and a center. At the sellers home I decided that it used 3C collets, which I use on my 9" South Bend. However on getting back to the shop, I am not sure. The 3C almost fits, but not all the way. I have not yet done a really good clean out on the spindle, but still not sure that will be sufficient. Does anyone have any knowledge about these? Is this some variation of 3C? I also have to check out the thread on the spindle to see if I can use a chuck from my lathe.
Information seems to be scarce for these dividing heads.
afbe1b74ad58c7bae3d023168cc0e053.jpg
9ed0c7efb6c1dcceb1a4d998480e4fd5.jpg
7f95bba447912e38d4ca6d63256cf474.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have a carrol which is very similar looking to your ellis. It takes 3c collets,but I had no problem getting collet to work,you can probably get by with one 1/2" to mount an arbor for the gear cutting.

I made a threaded adaptor and mounted a 4 jaw chuck on the end. Nice that you have a tailstock. It should adjust so you can dial down the backlash.

My old dividing head looks very much like your Ellis, but has no mfg. name on it. It has a B&S #9 spindle bore.

Yes, some versions did have B&S #9 but this particular model doesn't.
My old dividing head looks very much like your Ellis, but has no mfg. name on it. It has a B&S #9 spindle bore.

I have a 3 jaw 4” Buck set-tru chuck mounted on my Ellis. And have no reason at all to have it hold collets. I could make it hold collets. I have a round holder that holds collets that can be mounted in a 3 jaw, but have not used it on the Ellis. That brass colored area on the top of your Ellis. It has two set screws. That is your black-lash adjustment. I would mount a GOOD 3 jaw on it, my 3 cents…Dave

I have a 3 jaw 4” Buck set-tru chuck mounted on my Ellis. And have no reason at all to have it hold collets. I could make it hold collets. I have a round holder that holds collets that can be mounted in a 3 jaw, but have not used it on the Ellis. That brass colored area on the top of your Ellis. It has two set screws. That is your black-lash adjustment. I would mount a GOOD 3 jaw on it, my 3 cents…Dave

Thanks for the response. I would like to mount a chuck for some jobs, but really I want to mount a center for use with a mandrel for gear cutting. I know that I can do it with a chuck but prefer options. Also not yet checked out the spindle thread, to know what to get. (Or make)
I knew it had a method to adjust backlash but didn't know how so that is great information. Of course I have not really played with it yet.

Thanks for the response. I would like to mount a chuck for some jobs, but really I want to mount a center for use with a mandrel for gear cutting. I know that I can do it with a chuck but prefer options. Also not yet checked out the spindle thread, to know what to get. (Or make)
I knew it had a method to adjust backlash but didn't know how so that is great information. Of course I have not really played with it yet.

You can mount a center in a 3 jaw chuck. Remember, I said a set-tru chuck. I cut gears ALL the time. And when done on my Ellis. I have NEVER done it between centers. Instead, typically with a spud…Dave

Note: maximum range on a 3C collet is about 1/2”.

Also not yet checked out the spindle thread, to know what to get. (Or make)
The chart below shows common imperial spindle nose sizes. The spindle on my dividing head that is similar to yours is 1-3/4-8 thread, which is not on the chart below. The spindle nose on your Ellis dividing head is quite likely to be one of those sizes, and a quick check with a scale will tell the tale. If a thread lines up every eighth inch, it is 8 TPI. An Ellis dividing head will not have a metric spindle nose, so checking diameter with a caliper is good enough. 2 minute job...
LTYPEANDTHREADEDSPINDLES.jpg

Well it looks like a chuck is the way to go. It's true that what I want to do can be done, and done well, with a chuck. I am just used to the precision and ease of mounting with collets. I will be at my shop later today and will (amongst other things) be taking a closer look at the dividing head.
Thanks to all for the input. I will be happy to see more.

So.... I measured the spindle nose and it's 1.75 x 8 tpi. Nothing I have, but something I can make. Eventually. Or start to search EBay.
I have a couple of flywheels from treadmills, so maybe I could knock out a backplate from one of them.

Back