Help with Ellis dividing head

It's easy to find chucks on ebay but not 1.75 by 8 tpi. I made an adaptor to fit a 4" , 1 1/2 x8 chuck, got a nice used chuck under 100.

Yup, I can confirm the spindle nose is 1-3/4 x 8 TPI on my Ellis dividing head. And, a six inch chuck will just fit.

I once had a 1930's era Sheldon lathe that had the same spindle nose. Long ago sold that lathe (which I regret) but had a little Skinner 6" four jaw left over so I mounted it on the Ellis. I think I'd rather have a good 3-jaw on it and I have a really sweet 4" Rohm 3-jaw that I've been thinking of putting on it instead. Just gotta get a round tuit.
IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg
The 1-3/4" by 8 TPI stuff does come up for sale from time to time. Not super common but not rare either..

MetaKey

The 1-3/4-8 TPI 5" 3 jaw and 6" 4 jaw chucks I have for my dividing head say "The D. E. Whiton Machine Co." plus address, USA, etc. near the outsite edge of the chuck face, and 180 degrees opposite that say RIVETT in a rectangular box, same as on the lathes. However both are plain back with adapters to the 1-3/4-8 spindle nose, so while they were probably off of an old Rivett lathe, they may not have had that mounting size originally. The mounting adapters are not original to them but do look factory made, so there are probably others out there. Might be a good place to start looking for chucks for chucks for your dividing head. However, if they say Rivett on them, they may cost more.

Bob. I am open to (almost) any chuck of 3 or 4 inches. I can make a backplate for it, and have done so before. Just needs to be the right price and adequate accuracy or able to be made accurate. I do believe in old American or European iron.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree, easier to build back plate and have more options on chuck.

Back