Help with Force International / Craftex B2229 Lathe Mill Combo.

Rembrant

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks, I just picked up a used lathe mill combo unit. The name tag says Force International and the previous owner told me that it was purchased from Busy Bee. It appears to be basically the same as the current Craftex B2229 combo unit. It is visually the same, except mine is blue and white instead of green and yellow. Approximately 10 years old. I was told that it was not used very much, but that is all I really know about its history. It has been neglected and in storage for the past 2-3 years or more. Anyhow...I'm wondering what all I should do to inspect and tune this thing up? I've gone over it and found all the lubrication points but it still needs an oil change in the gear box. I would love any suggestions as far as what oil and lubricants to use, as well as suggestions on what TO do starting out with it. I don't have a manual for the machine, so I only have the downloaded Craftex B2229 manual...and it doesn't seem to be overly detailed. Any suggestions on what to do to get this old girl all tuned up?? Thank you in advance for your help!

I had a quick look on the Busy-Bee site, and appears you have the 3 in1 machine. I know the manuals for the B.B machines are not detailed very well. The manual you have should give you the suggested lubricants for your machine.
Another thought, search the Yahoo groups for 3 in1 machines. Atleast you would have others using the same, or similar machines. They will be able to provide a great amount of infro for lubrication points, tweeking and tuning, and most any other questions you might have for a 3 in 1 .

Good luck with your new toy.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3_in_1_Lathe_Mill_Drill/

Thanks for the reply! I took a look at Grizzly's website, and they have the same machine as well, and their downloads are much better...more detail, clearer pictures, and better descriptions. I should be ok with it....it's tough with a "barn find" so to speak, and I'm a beginner, so I'm starting from scratch...or before scratch if that's possible?...lol. What should I do for levelling? The machine is currently bolted to a light stand that was an OEM accessory. It doesn't not sit perfectly flat and one corner has a huge gap....my garage floor would be partly to blame. What do you guys use to level your machines? I have two and four inch square shims from 0.001" up to 0.125" for performing motor alignments. I suppose I could use those. What about rubber pads under the four corners? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Nice score. Look on grizzly's site for the same machine and download the manuel there. Oh and ofcorse.

:worthless:

Worthless without pics...haha, I should have seen that one coming...lol. Here she is...still not fully cleaned up. The stand is backwards in the picture, I have since turned it around. Being an industrial technician, I have an overwhelming urge to take the thing apart and put in new bearings and everything else to make sure it's all ok...lol. However, I'm going to just tune it up first and go from there. I just wish I knew more about machining...I have no idea how true the thing is...not sure how and what to measure other than run out with a dial indicator. Halifax-20130519-00112.jpg

Halifax-20130519-00112.jpg

Nice looking machine you have there. Should be lots of fun.:thumbsup:

Being your in Canada, check out Busy-Bee, they have a machinist level that is reasonable cost. I believe about 60 bucks. If the machine isn't sitting on all the corners, I wouldn't leave it that way for very long. Doing so, could promote bed twist. Atleast use wood packing on the loose corner. It might be worth looking into some of those adjustable leveling feet. They help making adjustments much easyer. I would look at the machine base, it most likely has spots for jacking bolts to assist you in leveling your machine. Even a regular level will get you close till you get out and purchase a real level.

B22926 Level is 69.00

http://www.busybeetools.com/search.php?search_query=level&x=15&y=15

Where would I get the adjustable levelling feet? Any suggestions?

Get some hocky pucks and some 1/2" bolts and make them. You have the tools for that now.:roflmao:

You can also get a great selection of leveling feet from McMaster Carr. They have a great website and very fast delivery.
Jim

Back