Help with frozen thread dial

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
I have soaked this in WD 40 for several days and it went from stuck solid to barely-moving-under-brute-force. Craftsman 101/Atlas 618. It's too small for a door stop and too big for a book mark. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Thread-Dial-Stuck.jpg

Thread-Dial-Stuck.jpg

Agree, get some real penetrating oil--I really like PB Blaster, there are others.

BTW I have a Good dial for a 6" Atlas/Craftsman.

The thread dial on my Sidney Lathe was froze up when I got it. I tried soaking it as well, but no success. I got a crazy idea to drop it into a hot vat of french fry oil. The oil was thin enough, the heat helped the oil get into it. And after repeating the process of slowly getting things turning a few times, all the grit was worked out, now its as good as new. Sounds crazy, but you might want to try it. Any cooking oil in a old pot should do it. The heat,and thin oil is what makes the difference, I think.

If you have a bell jar and a vacuum pump, submerge it in a container of oil and pull a vacuum on it, then allow it to pressure back up. Oil will be forced in anywhere there was air space.

What? No bell jar and pump??

8ntsane's got it, thats the only way, me id bring it right in the house when she aint looking little cooking oil
not much just tilt the pan till its sizzling not to much little at a time, also bring your needle nose. If I recall
this things are made from pot metal, alum or something like that. I never beleived in snake oil. Heat
cures all even my back. I bet there is all white corrosion in there.

Acetone and ATF did the trick (since that's what I had on hand). Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

jim

Good point, Rick. It should be cleaned and the shaft polished a bit, perhaps. The rust/corrosion will return if it isn't kept in motion, or the debris will prematurely wear the parts.

Just a question, while we're on the topic. Has anyone ever tried kerosene as a penetrant? Seems that, the way it crawls over surfaces, it should be able to move into cracks and crevices quite easily.

Back