Help with gear positions

ddushane

Active User
Registered
Guys, I need some help if yall can, Look at this picture and tell me if this is right or if I need to change something. When I got this lathe it had three pully's & a belt instead of gears, so I didn't have an example of how they are supposed to be, I've been looking on the web but not finding real clear pictures of what I need, I've got the book but having trouble figuring it out, I've tried several different searches but no luck, Here's a picture of the way I have it but with some arrows drawn in for a question, should the bushing pointed to with the red arrow be on the back side of this gear so it will run on the outer gear pointed to with the blue arrow rather than the inner one like it is now, hope I'm making myself clear, thanks for any help you have,

Dwayne

loganlathegears_zps1b803d83.jpg

Hi Dwayne, I 'll take a stab on it. My bet is you turn the screw gear around for threading under (I think
6 TPI). I would pick a tpi say a common 13 tpi try it, gage the thread. Then reverse the gear and try
a 4 tpi and gage that; just make scratches if it matches with the pitch gage thats it. Thats a pretty
good idea they had, I know on mine I have to replace feed gear with another and then fool around with
adjusting the banjo set up. If I am correct thats a slick setup. sam

forgot to say it makes sense, cause again, on mine that gear is smaller

the attachment is not your lathe its just an example (see where it says read the chart)

gears.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, I appreciate the help, I figure it's gonna take me quite a bit of playing to figure it out. Thanks again for the help.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Here's a pic of mine which is set up per the manual. If the pic doesn't get you going let me know and I can give you the number of teeth on each gear.

P1050001.JPG

Steve

P1050001.JPG

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it, looks like mine is done like yours, Looking forward to getting the 3 phase hooked up & making chips.

Dwayne

The way you have it is correct. The blue arrow is pointing to the 64 tooth gear that you would use if you needed to change tpi. The way you have it set up, you are using the 36 tooth gear on the stud. Logans are great machines. Your going to enjoy using it.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I've never cut threads on a lathe but I can think of a lot of different things I'd like to do in that area. All I've done so far on a lathe is build some bushings & stand offs for pocket knives, a hand wheel for the tool rest on this logan and a pair of Damascus wedding rings, but I'm wanting to do a whole lot more, I'm getting excited about it. I wish we had some machining classes locally that I could attend.

Dwayne

Dwayne, We have a great community college locally that has a "hands on" machinist course. I took a couple of semesters. I really enjoyed it. In hind sight, it basically gave me an introduction to the machines (which you obviously already have). The learning comes when you get the machines yourself and start playing with them. Every time I do a project it's a learning experience for me. This forum and others like it have guys that can answer every question I have ever had. The most helpful course I took was machine math. I was a terrible student in high school and never really got a grasp on algebra. With the help of a great instructor I now have a basic understanding of trig. All those set-ups that I wanted to make but didn't know how, are now possible for me.

Chuck

I agree Chuck, the learning really comes when you get to playing with different projects and a forum like this is a great place to learn a lot of stuff, I've enjoyed this forum more than most of the ones I've been on. Really nice Spirit of comradery here without a hatefulness & arrogance you find on other forums. I'm glad to be here.

Dwayne
[h=1][/h]

Back