Help with large South Bend

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I'm not sure why I am even considering it, but I looked at decent sized South Bend lathe today and curious if anyone could give me any more details or a possible model number. I have no idea how old it is, I would have to guess 50 yrs plus, but it does have the under drive cabinet for the motor. Overall, its close to 11' long, with a 6 or 7' bed. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck, steady rest, tailstock, and has the quick change gear box. Maybe a 15-20" swing?

Any guesses? It has to weigh at least 2k lbs, so moving it would be a chore.

20190421_192843_jpg-920759.JPG

20190421_192843_jpg-920760.JPG

20190421_193136_jpg-920761.JPG

There should be a plate on the feed gear cover stating the swing, looks like maybe a 16", likely from the 1940s; NASTY paint job!

Google is your friend. Look up "South Bend Lathe Identification". This is the ink you need. http://southbendlathe.com/older-machines/serial-numbers The serial number is stamped on the tailstock end of the bed between the flat- and v-ways. It is used to determine the size and type of lathe, plus any special features or attachments.

Looks to be a model 117, or 8117 if it is a toolroom version. It is pre 1952, so it is close to 70 years old. 16¼" swing, 81½" between centers (for the 10 foot model). Weight about 2600 pounds.

I'd say that's a pretty long lathe for a home shop, and heavy. Depends on how much room you have. Paint job looks like "The Exorcist" puke green LOL
Back end of that bed probably has zero wear (except for nicks from using it as a table); up near the headstock, expect lots

I moved a 14 1/2x72 Southbend by myself a couple of weeks ago. If you can get a tilt-bed trailer with a winch or a come-a-long, some chains, and either machinery skates or some 3/4 to 1 inch pipe or steel rod it isn't that hard to do. You just have to take your time and be careful to watch what's going on around you. I put a 2 inch ratchet strap on each side of the bed near the headstock and kept them where they should have caught the lathe if it tried to tip over sideways in either direction. Pull onto the trailer 6 inches or so, readjust the ratchet straps, pull again. Took some time, but it worked. I wrapped a pair of lifting slings around the bottom of the motor pedestal and did all my pulling from there.

I have room for it, at least I can make room for it, but still not sure what purpose it would serve. The owner isn't asking much, but moving it will be a challenge. I thought about welding up a pair of dollies for the front and rear, I have some large steel casters that should work with moving it around.

How difficult would it be to find a 4 jaw chuck....or at least, how expensive do they get?

Back