Help with lathe decision

Belliger

Registered
Registered
I am looking at starting a small garage machine shop for hobby purposes. After a year of research I had decided on a PM 1022 lathe and PM 727mill and have budgeted accordingly.

Part of my decision to go with Chinese machines is they are smaller (I only have 17' of wall space to fit machines and a work bench) and the used market in the Seattle area is not good, deals are rare to be had.

Then I ran across this partially rebuilt Clausing 5914 for $3200 and don't know if I should blow half my mill budget on it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/tls/d/clausing-5914-variable-speed/6330096089.html

It's larger than I wanted, I don't have the equipment to move it and I won't have the $ for tooling and accessories (example 4 jaw chuck) and a mill until early next year.

On the other hand it will be more enjoyable to operate and can turn out better parts faster. And I know it's something I will not grow out of.

Likely it will be used about once a week. Is it worth it to go for such a monster for such a beginning hobby?

Any advice?
Thanks

I also think you will be better off with the clausing . It looks to be restored and done well. With LATHES and mills go with the biggest you can . Unless you only plan on making pens . Usually the smaller the lathe the quicker you out grow it. Just things I've found

If you decide to go with the PM, you might want to spend another $100 for the PM1030v
to get a longer bed. The PM1127LB is nice, but that's at least $1000 more. The 1127 and
the PM1228 (which I have) have a D1-4 spindle which makes it easy to use third party
chucks. They also have a 1 1/2" spindle bore.

I have the PM727 which I am very happy with, but if it were available at the time I would
have probably gone for the variable speed version.

I vote for going with your original plan and let the Clausing go. Your chosen machines are within your budget, will allow you to decide if you even like working with metal and will hold their market value enough to enable you to upgrade if you decide you need to. They will be fully tooled for basic operations and fit into the space you have available. You'll have a lathe and mill to play with and a budget that isn't blown.

The Clausing, if it really is in the condition the seller says it is (always a big question mark), is a capable lathe but there are many better ones out there, new and old. Old Iron is cool and all but give me a camlock chuck, hardened spindles and gears running in precision bearings and variable speed that at least goes faster than 2000 rpm for my money.

Bottom line: stay within your budget and get the machines that you so carefully researched. Learn to machine stuff and define your needs better so that your next purchase will be an informed one based on your own informed biases, not someone else's.

It is a nice enough machine, a very useful size (certainly not a monster). Assuming it is actually in good condition, then it will sell on well when you are done with it. I really don't know about the prices in you area. It seems a bit high for being pretty spare on tooling. Of course the, QCTP holders, tail stock tools and spindle tooling are pretty easy to get - just money (at 3200USD it ought to be better dressed).

However specialty items - like the steadies or a taper attachment will likely be very hard to find - further ahead to make them (which is quite a project), or buy a machine that is better dressed. Granted, these are not usually common use items - depends on you use.

Thank you all for your help. You do bring up a good point that the lack of extras on this machine make it within $100 of a PM 1228 shipped with a QCTP. Given that I don't have "plans" for the machine and it will likely be relegated to garage puttering I think Mikey might be right that I am getting ahead of myself. It's just that machines like this don't come up often in this area, or if they do they need some restoration to be nice again (eg. surface rust).

Being I am mostly a lurker I have read over and over (when other people ask) that for the money I would be better served with a good used older machine than a newer Chinese machine. Maybe I am taking it too far?

you'll not likely outgrow the Clausing lathe.
i had a mini lathe and quickly outgrew it.

i have an import Shenwai 1236 that i don't think i will never outgrow, it's just too dang nice to have around.
i also have a Hercus ARH 922 (improved SB9 clone) that is beautifully constructed and gets the light(er) work. it is very capable too
i wouldn't want to get rid of either one- but i'm a machine hoarder :oops:

it will depend on what you are going to be machining, but i'd get the biggest machine you can afford and move!
good luck!

Why do you think that a new machine with zero wear and is fully tooled and comes with factory support is inferior to an old machine?

I have a friend who owns a really nice South Bend 13 that I helped to restore. It took us two years to find the parts we needed to get it in decent shape and it is indeed a nice looking lathe now. However, it has enough wear near the chuck that he has trouble holding tight tolerances on parts. I can work around them but he can't because instead of learning to machine stuff, he learned to restore an old lathe. After all the work, money and aggravation his plan is now to sell the lathe and buy a new Taiwanese 13" lathe and learn to use it. He is an auto mechanic and needs a working lathe so his situation is different from a pure hobby guy but he told me not long ago that he wished he had listened to me in the first place. True story.

Back