Help with lathe decision

The Clausing is the right size and way better quality and value than the new Chinese machine. Then you'd have a real machine that will not depreciate further. I'd offer him $2500 and negotiate from there. If the used market in Seattle is truly as you say it is, I wouldn't waste any time.

I talked to the seller. The machine was donated to a local school with a 3 phase motor, which quickly died and the machine sat in a corner for 5 years until this seller bought it at a auction earlier this year. He rebuilt it himself with the intent to sell, replacing the motor with a capacitor start 2hp, replaced the bearings and bushings in the drive, belts, as well as the lead screw for the cross slide. He says everything else seems tight and does not show much wear. Because the unit is bolted to rollers it's never been leveled to test the ways.

Still don't know what I want to do. Is there anything else I should consider when looking at a old lathe?

When I have a choice between made in the USA or Import. It’s a no brainer for me, USA baby! And I have the bigger sister to that Clausing, the 14”. It repeats 0.0002” all day. If I tripped over a 10EE, I’d get that too! But would still keep the Clausing 6900…Dave

I talked to the seller. The machine was donated to a local school with a 3 phase motor, which quickly died and the machine sat in a corner for 5 years until this seller bought it at a auction earlier this year. He rebuilt it himself with the intent to sell, replacing the motor with a capacitor start 2hp, replaced the bearings and bushings in the drive, belts, as well as the lead screw for the cross slide. He says everything else seems tight and does not show much wear. Because the unit is bolted to rollers it's never been leveled to test the ways.

Still don't know what I want to do. Is there anything else I should consider when looking at a old lathe?
If it’s factory original and needing help, I’m OK with that. But if somebody has “touched it”/”restored it” I get concerned. I have seen too many Joe McGee’s. The pics do look good! When looking at it in person, let your eyes and gut do the evaluation. And not what the seller is pitching…Dave

Budget, Budget, Budget...
Does the brand new PM lathe come with a steady and follow rests? 3 and 4 jaw chucks? The rests for an older Clausing, are hard to come by and are expensive when you do come across one. Don't get me started on the price of "good" to "high" quality chucks. I am all for older American Iron over new China Imports, is your PM a China or Taiwan machine? In this case, I think the seller is expecting too many $$$'s. It MIGHT be a buy at $2,000; chipsandmore has a point about garage rebuilding.
You may consider saving some more and upgrading your PM machine.

Good points about the tooling. Yes the PM machines come with all the goodies. If I wanted a cheap 4 jaw chuck for the Clausing I would be looking at $200 for the L00 back plate and $100 for the Shars chuck.
I hear you about garage rebuilds being a risk. I don't have the time or inclination to rebuild a lathe before I can make chips so it's rebuilt or new.
He is not negotiable on price at this time, as the unit just went up. I think I will step back and see what happens, if it sells soon it sells, if not then I can call back about negotiating the price. I just can't justify $3200 for a hobby lathe when I need do dump at least $300 more into it for a 4 jaw, and the whole thing is taking a risk on buying a project.

Thanks so much for all your advice, you guys are great.

To folks familiar with the Clausing, does it have the reeves drive? If it does, is that good, bad, or doesn't matter for a lathe? I have that type of drive on my Clausing Drill press and love not having to change belts. Why don't we see more lathes with that kind of drive?

I will not join the old vs new part of the conversation with exception of saying unless it was truly restored correctly I wouldn't even consider an older machine, untouched and unrestored I would look and consider for purchase. In my opinion for most guys the definition of restored is made shiney and painted with all the issues hidden as well as possible. Where I live there are machines around to be bought but worn out junk sure seems to be the norm, With that said I bought a PM727 from Matt knowing that it was of Chinese linage but knowing it had warranty for three years with someone who would stand behind it. Would I have liked a nice smaller sized USA made machine yes, but not necessarily having to rebuild it before I could use it.

Since I already talked myself into spending more, does anyone have thoughts on the PM1022/1030 or saving a couple extra months for the 1127?

Back