Help With Lathe Identification

magicniner

Registered
Registered
There is no writing or numbering visible anywhere on this lathe, it has an interesting reversing mechanism with bevel gears and dog clutch for the (missing) change wheel/lead screw system.
I've been searching for several weeks now but have not managed to find anything close enough to call a relative, any help would be greatly appreciated if you happen to recognise the make or model

OldLathe2.jpg

OldLathe1.jpg

I've donated it to a local transport museum which has no lathe and am in the process of getting together the bits required to get it running again,

- Nick

Hi Nick,

Interesting lathe. What nice long cross-slide ways.
I bet the v-pulleys are a retrofit, it looks old and should have had flat-belt pulleys.
Too bad the originals are gone, the number of pulley steps is one notable feature to help in narrowing it down.

I see a rack for moving the carriage, but no gear to engage it.

I have been poking around over at http://www.lathes.co.uk/ , nothing yet.......but I'll keep looking.

Can you supply a couple more pictures?
Specifically, a shot of the back of the headstock,
Is there any indication that it used to have a lead-screw? (holes for mounting brackets, etc.)
Does the tail-stock have an option for set-over for turning tapers?

Thanks,
-brino

Brino,
I've spent hours delving through Tony's site but without any starting reference point I just though I'd see if anyone recognised it.
There is no set-over for tapers on the tailstock and it definitely used to have a leadscrew, apron, carriage hand wheel etc. but that is all missing and there are no mounting points or marks on the back of the head stock to provide clues.
The plan is to get it running as-is with the carriage clamping in place and with the top slide for Z moves as the previous owner did some lovely work with it set up that way, then gradually make the required bits to return it to full functionality from whatever I can scrounge up ;-)
Regards & Thanks,
Nick

I have a similar lathe made by F Lorch (Germany). The machine was available in both plain and screw cutting versions.
Dredb

kd4gij,
Many Thanks! That's so close that it's unlikely be from another stable! ;-)

Back