Help with Mill lubrication

P3Stoker

Registered
Registered
G'day All. I've recently joined the community and this is my first post, following the welcome. I recently acquired a series 1 mill, it was my Dad's and it's in real good condition. I have had a reasonable look through previous threads for the answers I'm after without luck, I hope I've searched enough as I don't want to waste anyone's time.
If you can assist with questions about the centralised lubrication system please read on, if not thanks for reading this far.
Before I start using the machine I want to ensure the ways are adequately lubricated. Apologies if I get some terminology wrong, I'll refer to the manual where I can.
I've had the machine for 12 months but I've only just had power outlets installed. For some time I've been pulling up the handle on the reservoir then moving the knee/table etc and the ways feel somewhat dry, at least dry enough for me to want to confirm all is ok. I have the manual recommended oil on the reservoir.
So I started disconnecting fittings from the 6 way double junction to see where oil was actually going and found the following. I was mainly checking for oil coming out of what looks to be metering units (MU)
1. The rear outlet goes to the knee on the left side (looking at machine from front). That MU appears solid without an outlet hole. No oil was seen coming out here.
2. I disconnected the two vertical MU's. These are different to the one described above. The rear vertical MU supplies the other side of the knee, oil was evident. The front vertical MU enters the knee, not sure to where, NO oil evident at all.
3. The front fitting is just an open nipple for the hose to supply the ten way junction where I haven't started disconnecting as yet.
So the main concerns so far are the MU that appears solid and the one where no oil was evident. This was with other MU's connected thereby metering and limiting loss. I pumped the handle several times with no oil evident.
If you have had experience with this system or in and case can offer thoughts/comments that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I bought my first knee mill knowing nothing about it.
You are asking about the mechanics of the mill. You can download a detailed manual/parts schematic from www.vintagemachinery.org
I have learned quite a bit from watching Youtube videos. There are dozens on the Bridgeport.
Be safe and have a ball.
Welcome to the community.

I don't have a one shot lube system on my Bridgeport. But from what I've read about them, the metering fittings can clog up. They can sometimes be cleaned, but often just need to be replaced. As this is a new machine to you, you should probably check each fitting to ensure that everything is getting oil. The fastest way to destroy the machine is poor lubrication.

Thanks Janderso and Ttabbal for your replies.
Ttabbal, I definately agree that lubrication is very important and I'll happily replace the metering valves. Replacement of the metering valves however requires knowing the part number or equivalent. Unfortunately my manual is not clear and manuals on line so far have been the same in that I can't determine the required detail. I can see two metering valve part numbers but can't determine what goes where and the illustrations are not the same as the mill.
Janderso, I've looked at numerous manuals on line, some are different and some exactly the same as my original manual, both unclear.
Thanks again for your responses, I'll keep looking. In the mean time if anyone has more info please let me know.

H&W Machine is another great source for parts and information

I think you will find the best way to go about addressing the oiling system is pull the table+saddle, and replace all of the tubing and use carb or brake cleaner to get all the sludge out of the passages in the machine. This will also teach you a lot about how everything functions, and give you the opportunity to address other issues, like backlash in you X&Y screws and nuts, gib adjustment, cleaning, etc.. It inspires confidence in your machine knowing everything is up to snuff. Here is one post in the Bridgeport section of the forum on oiling, many other good threads there also.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/replacing-auto-oiler-lines-under-table.73842/ Mike

If you look on h&w machine web page they have detailed diagrams of the Bridgeport and bjur oiling system. The diagram shows all components of system and is clear to read. Their are different sizes or fives for different places on Bridgeport. Like #0 and #1 valves.

Guessing that you are getting oil to the manifold?Maybe remove the hose from the manifold then try to pump oil,I do know that there is a screen on the pickup tube in the oil tank if not.All of my Mu were stop up with gunk,I ended up replacing all of them.

Thanks to all for your comments/advice. I have done some research but otherwise been busy with things taking me away from the mill. An ongoing project for now. Regards

Back