Help with motor capacitor

Thanks for the help everyone. I know what to look for now. Now I just need to do some pulley size calculations. Thanks.

call dayton motors. they can give you all the info you need.
I found a phone number for Dayton in IL, but it has been disconnected. Did Grainger buy Dayton? Did some googling and couldn’t find a current working number

On twin capacitor motors the run cap is also usually never exposed to voltages more than 120, but the factory often up-sizes the voltage
rating on that one because of the smaller size/ uF value and just because they can. Probably helps reliability long-term

Last edited:
I am looking at a motor with only a start capacitor (shown in the wiring diagram), no centrifugal switch and no run capacitor. I need some remedial education on motors. Can someone point me to a good reference on the web? Google hits are overwhelming.

Sounds like a "permanent split-cap" style of motor. Also called a "capacitor-run" style. Reversible.
Better starting torque than simple shaded-pole induction motors, more efficient also, runs cooler.
Many of the high quality Bodine gearmotors are that type

Last edited:
I found a phone number for Dayton in IL, but it has been disconnected. Did Grainger buy Dayton? Did some googling and couldn’t find a current working number

Dayton is Grainger. Rather, Grainger is Dayton. Grainger is Speedaire. Grainger is Sumitomo. And Imperial, and Zoro, and...

Nothing wrong with Grainger, it's as close to a permanent fixture as a company can get when they're publicly traded. Their motor data is in their catalog, they have spares, and provide good support.

If the motor has a single capacitor for both start and run, then it cannot be an electrolytic, typically it would be a lower value oil or solid wound (polypropylene) type, typical voltage ratings are 370-450VAC. I just had a person with a single phase electric oil pump in his lathe that stopped working (just got hot and hummed), had him check motor capacitor and it was toasted. These types of PSC motors have lower starting torque and are usually used for pumps and fans that have low starting torques. These also are usually 2P motors, not 4P. Last time I replaced a similar motor capacitor was in a 2Hp swimming pool pump motor and I used a motor run capacitor 370 VAC 55 MFD, it is an oil immersion type of capacitor.

Sometimes they use polyester-type molded caps with the smaller sized PSC motors, since they are essentially "dry" and low cost

Back