Help with my Atlas Lathe

So you have three wire feeder coming off your panel to the switch? Hot, neutral and ground? The blue and red are feeding the motor only from the switch?

And what is the second black wire doing in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are indeed three wires from the recepticle. One is black, ganged with the other black, connected too the middle terminal on the right side. The white or neutral leg (And I probably should pin this out to make sure it is indeed connected to neutral), that white wire is connected to the bottom lug on the left side. The last wire is green, and it is connected to the box itself as ground or Earth for our European/Australian friends..

Have you traced where the second ganged black wire goes to?

Not yet.. but I can... I think it goes directly too the yellow wire which is the cap???

Have you traced where the second ganged black wire goes to?

The black wire that is ganged to the other black from the receptacle is on the middle terminal on the right side and goes to the bottom post inside the motor. The RED Wire, that is on the top left terminal goes to the other post inside the motor.

You still have not posted the connection diagrams for the motor or for the drum switch that I asked for. There is no real standard for how motors are connected. Or how drum switches are connected. Nor for the colors of the wires coming out of the motor. Every or almost every manufacturer did it a different way. But the fact that at one place in the wiring you have half line voltage tells me that the motor is definitely connected for 240 volts, not for 120. There is no other way to get half of the AC line voltage in a single phase AC motor.

You need to have someone who knows what they are doing rewire the thing before you electrocute yourself,

You still have not posted the connection diagrams for the motor or for the drum switch that I asked for. There is no real standard for how motors are connected. Or how drum switches are connected. Nor for the colors of the wires coming out of the motor. Every or almost every manufacturer did it a different way. But the fact that at one place in the wiring you have half line voltage tells me that the motor is definitely connected for 240 volts, not for 120. There is no other way to get half of the AC line voltage in a single phase AC motor.

You need to have someone who knows what they are doing rewire the thing before you electrocute yourself,
Sorry... So Yes.. I took the motor and switch to a repair shop and they looked it over and rewired it for me. They did change out some of the wires and now it seems to run MUCH better under a load.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Back