Help with new surface grinder

should I wire directly in to the fuse box that was there.
In our jurisdiction, you have to have a mechanical disconnect switch before any fuses, or electrical connections (such as VFD). So if your input is 220V 1`PH it is a double pole switch after the leade and before the VFD. If your input is 3PH it has to be 3 pole.

Last edited:
The fan in your box with the drive is a great idea but you need to add an air port.
In the bottom with a filter.
Air should naturally be rising up and out the front fan opening with the fan helping by blowing out.

I have a question: how are you powering the oil pump? My Harig 618 has a 220V single phase oil pump in the sump in back, and I'm pretty sure the 612s have the same. When I re-wired I stuck with 220V single phase input and used a 220 1ph -> 220 3ph VFD. The oil pump runs on the incoming single phase power.

Mine actually didnt have the oiler. It was removed and replaced with a one shot. I talked to Jim sellers about buying it, I plan on doing it soon. There will be a dedicated breaker in the panel. So incoming power will come in and feed the pump and the vfd. So when you throw the switch to power the vfd it will automatically turn the oil pump on.

To be fair I am not the best person for advice on the subject. My grinder had been running for a few months fine but there are much better people to ask on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back