Help with removing Bearings, 6" Rockwell Belt Sander

Has anyone removed/replaced the bearings in the upper roller/drum?
There are 2 lock nuts on both ends and a notched not looks like a pre-load bearing adjustment nut.
All removed, but the shaft is rock solid.
Which way to press out?
Thank you!IMG_1061[1].JPG

Factory bearings can sometimes be glued in place, manufactures use loctite when installing bearings and can be a pain to remove, try little heat on the old bearing if there is no plastic parts to melt

Like Jim said you’d hold the casting and press the shaft down. Orientated just like picture. Then you’d flip casting and press bearing out.
To install press bearing closest to drum in housing first. Then press drum shaft through that bearing. Then press other bearing.
If there is a spacer between bearings most likely theirs no preload just tight. If no spacer then your gonna be dealing with preloading the bearing. Which I would think theirs a spacer?? Good luck

Vintage machinery site has a good write up on what you're doing.they have several precautions on how not to press on certain parts.

Got it done.
Found what not to do.
The drums were really stuck to the shaft.
There is a stop on one end, so the bearings had a definite press on/off procedure.
The bearings are shielded 6202Z ND.
Do you think they are the originals?

348EBCDF-51E9-4E1D-9500-5C235729CFE1.jpeg

7D50D1EE-F14F-4DE9-BB02-9DD05C38F2A5.jpeg

C42EA012-84B4-4911-8723-499682EA6930.jpeg

D5840561-59D8-454D-8C3C-8134F750BB0C.jpeg

If you have a lathe I would chuck one end and center the other end and use some 400 grit emery cloth and polish off the rust. be careful not to change the diameter of the bearing journal. Then I would call a local bearing house and order some new shielded bearings. A good brand like NSK or SKF and not some Ebay bargain made in China. Be careful when you install the bearings. Use a leaded cold roll punch and not a pin punch. If I was doing it I would heat the bearings and expand the inner race so it would drop on. :) Rich

If you are going to heat the bearings, which is a good way to get them on without any impact, make sure they have steel cages and shields. I took a set out of the oven only to find what ever plastic was used in the cages had softened. Sometimes the lessons learned are expensive LOL

I purchased good shielded bearings from McMaster.
It went together no sweat.
This belt sander sure is a handy addition to my shop. I use it all the time.
Thanks for the advice.IMG_1094[1].JPG

Back