Help with Shilen DGA 642

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
Barrel marked :
220 Swift on the side
Hart 7-78 SHS on the bottom
I inherited this when my uncle died and left me his machine shop. It was stacked in a corner of the shop with a pile of shafts and tubes.
It's preaty rough and rusty but I thought I would try to take it apart and give a good cleaning.
It does not seem to have way to open the breach bolt.
I thought about trying electrolysis to remove the rust but hear it's hard on springs.
shilen 220swift 001.jpgshilen 220swift 002.jpgshilen 220swift 005.jpgshilen 220swift 004.jpg*********Thanks*******Gator************************shilen 220swift 003.jpg

shilen 220swift 001.jpg shilen 220swift 002.jpg shilen 220swift 005.jpg shilen 220swift 004.jpg shilen 220swift 003.jpg

Is this a joke?

You are about to blow yourself up, if you are unfortunate enough to ever get this thing apart and get it to fire. If you fire it and it doesn't blow up, you will never be able to extract the spent case as the chamber is almost certainly as pitted as the rest of this gun.

This is serious. Stop now.

Run a swab through it with some hoppes number nine and she will be as good as new :rofl:

Never said I wanted to fire it. Just get it apart clean and oil it and hang it on the shop wall.
*****I'm some dumb not plumb dumb*******G*******

Taking it apart to assess it doesn't mean he'll shoot it if it's in bad shape. Try a nice soak in some gentle evapo rust. Springs don't seem to rust as bad as other steel a lot of times. Of course be safe, but keep us up on it. The action has me curious.

I'll second the Evapo-rust recommendation. It will remove the rust even in find cracks if allowed to sit long enough and would loosen up the action without damaging the springs (not that they aren't already damaged).

-Ron

GG

Was that gun in a fire? looks like it may have been, or exposed to some salt water, but at any rate, ill second the evaporust. Interesting find u have there, keep us posted.

Richard

Rich,
No fire that I know of but our welding table was in the same corner of the shop.
The bay is less than a mile from here and we do get a lot of "Sea Fog".Besides down here in Florida with our humidity and low dew point rust is pretty agressive.
Not sure of the correct terminolgy but to me it looks like the breach block slides down and away from the breach. Using a jewlers loop I can see threads in the small hole in the bolt.
Guess I will have to get some evaporust and give it a soak. Too bad as I have a electrolysis rig set up all ready.
While doing some research on this gun I read tha DGA stands for Damm Good Acton.
Since that came off the internet I will take that with a grain of salt. :rofl:
Thanks for the input and I will take some pictures of the process and post them here.
************G****************

I lived in Florida two miles from Skipper Bay and my machinery was constantly bombarded by sea salt and rust. A forgotten Remington model ten rusted shut and the inside of the barrel pitted, but the barrel could be saved. A Weatherby rifle was as bad looking as your gun and we soaked it in Brake Fluid. The 06 barrel was ruined but it now wears a 280 Ackley Improved. If your chamber is piited then you can rechamber the 220 Swift to the 6.5X55 necked down to 22 caliber. It is an easy fix for a bad 220 Swft chamber.

Back