[Newbie] help with southbend 9" model b

esinger22

Registered
Registered
my company just purchased a lathe for our shop. i have no lathe experience but its a tool that is valuable in my industry (musical instrument repair) i'm excited to get to know this machine and improve my skill set.
i partially disassembled it for transport. in reassembling it i'm having trouble with the counter shaft set screws, spacing of the cone on that shaft, and tension of the flat belt.
there is a collar with a standard screwdriver head set screw and i'm not quite sure of the placement. when i tighten down the alan set screw in the middle wheel of the cone and turn it on it slips. it catches at first and then just stops. messing with the tension of the flat belt has helped little.
i'd love to see some pics of that area to sort out the spacing. also is there a key in that shaft i'm missing? or a recess for the set screw? remember it says newbie at the start of this post so pre forgive my ignorance. any help would be appreciated. thanks!

There should be a dimple on the shaft or a flat spot- take out the setscrew and with a flashlight turn the shaft and try to locate it
Sometimes putting two short setscrews one on top of the other will keep it from loosening
Mark

A Mark said, there should be a spot drill place on the shaft the cone point set screw should go into. Once tight, snug the hex nut so the set screw doesn't come out. May have to back off the hex nut to get the screw to go in properly.

dave, thanks, i watched that video. i have searched videos on you tube but i guess not with the right search terms. i watched the whole thing. it worked! i find it interesting about the bronze bushings that he used. i didnt notice what type of gaps, if any, he had. i have about a 3/4" gap between the collar against the casting arm and the cone. as well as slightly less of one between the motor pulley on the tapered shaft and the casting. i think it'll be fine as thats the way it's been run for a long time. just seems like there should be something there.
mark, i used the flashlight. even filled with grease it only took a minute to find. sweet!
4gsr, had to back off that hex nut to get the set screw in as you suggested. it's all tight now.

thanks a bunch guys!

Glad that you solved your problem.

I think we all have experienced not finding something on the internet due to not having the correct search term. Looking for "Southbend lathe videos" will return a heck of a list of hits, but may be too long to find ones which are applicable.

Back