Help with spindle nose thread

Varmint204

Registered
Registered
I just picked up an old 1979 ish Honden 12 x 36 lathe in an on line auction. Unfortunately it did not come with much, no chuck and just a blank plate that screws on to the spindle.
Other than the lack of accessory's and having the back of the spindle damaged a bit, it looks like a very lightly used machine. My question is what spindle thread dose this use. I have attached a picture with the dimensions of the spindle nose.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
20200527_170005.jpg

The shop I worked at back in the day had a Summit 11 X 36 lathe (Taiwan mfg'd) that needed a collet chuck backing plate. The machinist that got the job threaded it 64mm x 3mm pitch. It fit fine. What is the pitch on your spindle?

Yes, measuring the thread pitch will helpfully narrow down whether it is imperial or metric.

The bit of poking around I did showed very little. only one nugget. Any questions on PM met with decapitation, and it seems there isn't much foreign on Keith Rucker's site. Lathes.co.uk has some leads in the generic Taiwanese section.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/taiwan/

it is a metric pitch, both my 1236's have the same threads

Thanks for the replys, as far as I can tell it indeed looks like 3mm thread pitch. Are back plates available or will I have to make my own? As to the model it has a tag that says KING no model number. What little i have dug up it appears to be L850B, I could be wrong about that.

chucks, and backplates are like hen's teeth, sorry to say:(
you may find them, but usually they are mis-identified by the seller

i have heard rumor that often folks think it is 2-3/8"x6 TPI opposed to the 3mm pitch

Can you supply some pictures of the entire lathe and some close-ups of the headstock?
A picture of the Honden and King plates/badges too?

I suspect that it is very similar if not identical to a number of other Taiwan/China made machines.
Photos would certainly help identify it.

Currently I am finding that most newer models in the 12x36" size are D1-4 spindle mounts.....including both King and Jet.

-brino

Back