Help with the spindle speed diagram.

mgyB

Registered
Registered
I should probably be ashamed of myself, but I don't get it. Can anyone explain the spindle RPM diagram. I don't know which pulley on the machine relates to I, II, and III.

Looks like Joe P has it correct; I= spindle, II= Motor, and III= Idler. The layout of the drawing is confusing so I would not feel bad about not understanding it. To be honest I cant see enough on the machine to be sure what I tell you is correct. Can you tell me what the make and model of the lathe is and Id be happy to take a look for more information for you. I just don't want to tell you something wrong

Not surprised you don't get it- the pictorial is a rolling disaster- if you look close you can see a picture of a chuck on I
For the three highest speeds, the idler is bypassed and the spindle belt goes directly to the motor. The orientation of the various pulley flange groups is drawn backwards compared to the actual machine
Mark

Last edited:
To me it appears the way its set now would be the slowest speed and you would shift the belt step by step towards the lathe to increase speed for first three speeds

Then to select the next 3 speeds you would need to reverse the motor pulley and idler pulley to select next three speeds moving the belt step by step away from lathe to increase speed .

At least thats what i think i can make of it hope this helps a bit.

Sorry looking again that does not seem right in what ive said .

Last edited:
That is what I was trying to tell, but in the photo I can not see if there are smaller stepped pulleys behind the large one on the spindle. They are kind of drawn on what they pass off as a diagram with the cryptic chuck and motor on it

Yes the spindle pulley has 3 steps, so for the highest 3 speeds the idler/countershaft is bypassed and the belt goes from motor to spindle
You wouldn't know it though from the crazy way they drew it- 5 demerits for that person

Last edited:
That is what I was trying to tell, but in the photo I can not see if there are smaller stepped pulleys behind the large one on the spindle. They are kind of drawn on what they pass off as a diagram with the cryptic chuck and motor on it

It looks like I is the spindle as it has a little chuck diagram and the combinations are either II-I or III-I (II drives I, III drives I). My guess would be that II is the main drive pulley (connected to the motor) and III is the back gear. Note the way II is connected to III.

Thanks to everyone who replied. All were helpful, and very much appreciated. I still don't have the solution, but I have a better understanding thanks to all of you. I did take Derf's advice and bought a digital tach. Thank you!

Back