Help with Toolcraft return spring

Dalbouka

Registered
Registered
I’m trying to restore my father’s Toolkraft 4452. I moved away after I returned from the invasion of Iraq and I recently returned.

I noticed that my fathers DP no longer works. When I opened it up I discovered animal nesting material and chewed wires. I have it well cleaned up and I fixed and tested the wiring. Unfortunately I messed up the return spring even though I followed the manual’s instructions, when I took the motor out.

I can’t figure out how to fix the return spring and the manual doesn’t cover it. Can someone help me?

4D327927-8EA1-47EE-8EAD-ED01C94F66E3.jpeg

C075943E-8DEC-4F3E-ACCB-957F9664E8CE.jpeg

If the spring isn't broken, it should be relatively easy to fix. The spring needs to be rewound some
and the end reattached to whatever it is that holds it in place, a pin maybe or hole or something like that, some kind of dog.

There is a slit in the shaft that the tab of the spring probably needs to go in, but I can’t get it in.

have u tried attaching the spring to the shaft first and then preloading the spring with the outer end?

I’m trying that now and I still can’t get that spring to slide back into the shaft.

Should I take the shaft all the way out?

I think you will need to so you can examine the spring and the slot in the shaft--does the slot go all the way though the shaft or just in part way--you will need to clean the slot out good and examine the end of spring that goes in slot--you may need to pre load the spring to reassemble---Dave

Reactions: jcp
I got it back together, but when I turned it on, the motor hummed, but didn’t turn. I tried turning it by hand and adjusting the speed knob, but the motor still didn’t spin under its own power. I turned it off, pushed the reset button, turned it back on and it sparked and blew the GFI.

that doesn't sound good at all---sounds like you didn't find all the chewed bare wires--turn it off and unplug it ---does the motor shaft turn easily without the belt on or is there maybe some nesting material inside the motor----if it turns easy then I would wire nut a cord just from the motor and see if it kicks the reset out when you plug it in---because it kicked out the GFL--you can also do a continuity test from the wires you unhooked from the motor to see if they are grounded somewhere in your press circuitry --somewhere you have a live wire grounded , or a bad motor----Dave

Back