Help with worn tailstock

Well, the metric Acme nut I ordered was the wrong size. I searched everywhere for an 11/16 X 8 nut. No joy.....And all the Jet parts places could not help.

Here is how I fixed it.

I turned a a piece of aluminum to 1.0” OD and 11/16” ID
Then I found a pice of welding wire that fit perfectly into the threads on the screw.
I sprayed the screw with release agent.
Wrapped the wire tightly around the screw.
Covered the whole mess with JB Weld and inserted into the aluminum bush8ng I made.
Let it set overnight and the next morning the screw turned out easily.
I bored out the tailstock and using LocTite 620, bonded the bushing into the tailstock

Works fantastically!

Absolute zero felt lash. Amazingly accurate on the DRO I have installed on my tailstock

Been using it now for a few weeks and even with high loads it is holding up fine.

Good luck, please let us know how long it lasts say in 6 months.

The bronze nut in the tailstock lead screw on my Jet 12x36BD was totally stripped out.
I measured the lead screw and believing it was metric, ordered a metric, left hand, ACME nut to fix it.
Well, the metric Acme nut I ordered was the wrong size.
Turns out is was American thread. I searched everywhere for an left hand, 11/16 X 8 nut. No joy.....And all the Jet parts places could not help.

Here is how I fixed it.

I turned a a piece of aluminum to 1.0” OD and 11/16” ID
Then I found a pice of welding wire that fit perfectly into the threads on the screw.
I sprayed the screw with release agent.
Wrapped the wire tightly around the screw.
Covered the whole mess with JB Weld and inserted into the aluminum bushing I made.
Let it set overnight and the next morning the screw turned out easily.
I bored out the tailstock and using LocTite 620, bonded the bushing in place of the worn bronze nut in the tailstock

Works fantastically!

Absolute zero felt lash. Amazingly accurate on the DRO I have installed on my tailstock

Been using it now for a few weeks and even with high loads it is holding up fine.

That was very ingenious! But I wonder how long before the JB stops working? And the welding wire pulls away/out. Was there a reason why you did not just make a new nut on your lathe?

I do not have the ability or tools to grind a cutter for those ACME type threads. Otherwise that is exactly what I would have done.

Let's see how long the JB Weld holds up.

I like your fix. About the only thing I could think of that I might have added would be to (somehow) mask the leadscrew contact areas of the coil, then lightly sandblast the "outer" surface (as well as the inner surface of the bushing), to increase adhesion. But what you did sounds like it should work pretty well. Hope it holds up!

Back