Hemingway Quorn Mk3

Great way to utilize an old A plate from a mold.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I have so much "scrap" and "stock" metals I won from a local auction. Just recycling the EDM wire and keeping and transporting the metal to my shop was a profitable venture.Shop was building landing gear for the military. Picked up all of it for $600 + 18% fee. 2 large Rubbermaid garbage bins of spent EDM wire had the recyclers cutting me a $800+ check.

Hi all!

Looking for advice. I over-bored the vertical bar receiver in the casting. Lots of chatter on that cut, but I over-bored it more than I am willing to accept. Thoughts on fixing this? Should I go a bit larger and fill with a brass slug, and then re-bore it? What about injecting epoxy in with the bar mounted? I don't have a press to push the bar back out once cured.

Just really trying to get a plan on moving forward. Pretty disappointed in myself right now.

Hi all!

Looking for advice. I over-bored the vertical bar receiver in the casting. Lots of chatter on that cut, but I over-bored it more than I am willing to accept. Thoughts on fixing this? Should I go a bit larger and fill with a brass slug, and then re-bore it? What about injecting epoxy in with the bar mounted? I don't have a press to push the bar back out once cured.

Just really trying to get a plan on moving forward. Pretty disappointed in myself right now.
It looks like this part doesn't move much? Is it the part that holds the head? If it doesn't move, I'd probably bore it a little more, then glue/loctite in another piece of cast-iron bar, and bore that to the right size (OR, pre-bore it on the lathe after turning it to size!).

if it is something that moves, I'd go with a bronze insert, you can get them in many shaft sizes already!

Nothing that moves really. 2 M6 Grub screws hold the column captive. I guess it CAN com apart if you needed to disassemble, but I don't think it HAS to come apart once it is put together. Thanks for the advice.

Nothing that moves really. 2 M6 Grub screws hold the column captive. I guess it CAN com apart if you needed to disassemble, but I don't think it HAS to come apart once it is put together. Thanks for the advice.
In that case, bronze/brass is overkill, and I wouldn't use epoxy personally (that seems a little 'hacky' to me, and I'd never forget it). However, a cleanly installed hunk of CI could be milled flat /nearly invisible, and last forever.

Added question. If I turn a sleeve for this, is there a NEED use cast iron for the sleeve, or can I use Aluminum? Steel?

I ask because I would need to buy some cast iron round bar, but I have aluminum and steel on hand for this.

If it does not move. Shim then bolt into place. That is what I would do. If it had to move. Then for sure open up and sleeve.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Added question. If I turn a sleeve for this, is there a NEED use cast iron for the sleeve, or can I use Aluminum? Steel?

I ask because I would need to buy some cast iron round bar, but I have aluminum and steel on hand for this.
Since it doesn't move and doesn't face temperatures/etc, it doesn't really need to be cast iron. I'd use it just to stop it from having a 'different' material. I probably wouldn't use aluminum just for the appearance difference, but any material would work.

I actually never asked; HOW much is it over-bored? twhite's comment made me think: if you're talking 10 thou, some shim stock would make it invisible. I had it in my head you were something like 50+ thou over.

Since it doesn't move and doesn't face temperatures/etc, it doesn't really need to be cast iron. I'd use it just to stop it from having a 'different' material. I probably wouldn't use aluminum just for the appearance difference, but any material would work.

I actually never asked; HOW much is it over-bored? twhite's comment made me think: if you're talking 10 thou, some shim stock would make it invisible. I had it in my head you were something like 50+ thou over.
It was about 10 thou. Now it is about 125 Thou over. I am going to sleeve it. Shims would bother me. And have a precision tool and cutter grinder when the foundation is jacked up. I want to do this right. Time is not a factor at all for me.

It was about 10 thou. Now it is about 125 Thou over. I am going to sleeve it. Shims would bother me. And have a precision tool and cutter grinder when the foundation is jacked up. I want to do this right. Time is not a factor at all for me.
Yeah, even at 10 thou I'd probably have the same attitude. Definitely one of those things that would bother me forever.

Back