Hendey 12x54 Tailstock missing bump

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Please excuse my probable lack of the proper term but the tailstock on the 12x54 Hendey gear head I purchased earlier this year is missing the bolt that you back into and bump out the tooling.

Would anyone happen to have a diagram and/or information on how to tear this apart so I can replace this piece?

That should be a part of the screw that moves the tailstock quill in and out; sometimes the centers or other tooling used in the tailstock is too short on the small end for the screw extension to reach it and bump out the tooling.

I have looked into the quill, there is no bolt/screw to bump against. There is only a threaded hole.

That's why I was looking for a diagram or disassembly instructions.

I have looked into the quill, there is no bolt/screw to bump against. There is only a threaded hole.

That's why I was looking for a diagram or disassembly instructions.

I do not know what your quill and screw look like. On my lathe the screw in the quill ejects whatever is in the taper - presuming it is long enough to contact the end of the screw when the quill is fully retracted.

Showing the screw from my lathe as illustration.

The threaded hole you mention should be for the equivalent screw to mine.

Grizzly_G9249_screw_length_with_rule_8746.jpg

Is there not a screw that feeds the quill out of it tailstock bore? That is what is supposed to knock out the tools; perhaps take a picture of the tailstock so that we get a better idea of what you are talking about. If that screw is missing from your lathe, it makes some sense, and you will have to find a replacement screw and handwheel and possibly the bearing housing that Dave pictures above; this screw, BTW would be a left hand Acme thread.

Sometimes the ends of the Morse taper tooling is cut down to allow more travel before the taper is ejected. I do that with all my Morse taper tooling. I set them up to eject about .05" before the end of travel. There is no standard for this and if the tooling came from another lathe, it may have been cut too short for your lathe.. A solution would be to place an appropriately size button on the end of the taper. This can be done by drilling a hole to accept a pin or drilling and tapping a hole for an adjustable stop.

If a Morse taper adapter still has a flatted shank on the end and it doesn't eject, it is possible that someone shortened the lead screw. In that case the best option would be to replace the lead screw but you could use the above option as well,

I'd suggest taking the feed screw out , then you can at least add a set screw if needed ? With it out threads can be cked for size , the plus to that is you could make one from brass even.

I'd suggest taking the feed screw out , then you can at least add a set screw if needed ? With it out threads can be cked for size , the plus to that is you could make one from brass even.
I would love to take it out. I am unsure how it comes out.

In the picture, the area boxed in red, I don't believe my tailstock has this. I *believe* it is a bolt that is in the tailstock screw. Which is why I would like to see a diagram of what should be there.

2018-07-21 11_26_53-(1) Hendey 12x54 Tailstock missing bump _ The Hobby-Machinist Forum.png

A solution would be to place an appropriately size button on the end of the taper. This can be done by drilling a hole to accept a pin or drilling and tapping a hole for an adjustable stop.
I believe this has already been done, if it wasn't stock.

I do not expect you will easily find an exploded part diagram for your lathe. If you want more help we need to see pictures of the quill and tailstock.

The screw for the tailstock is likely held in place by a pin or set screw. Look and feel for these. Possibly this has been painted over.

We have no idea without pictures.

Back