Hendey 12x54 Tailstock missing bump

It may even be held in by a part threaded in the end of the tailstock . The hump where the shaft goes thru with the hand wheel or the hand wheel has to come off and the shaft comes out the front . It comes out for sure. Pictures will help. Will the quill comes out if you run it all the way out off the shaft itself?? It should slide out ..

Last edited:
Pictures will help. Will tequila come out if you run it all the way out off the shaft itself?? It should slide out ..

Well put it this way, if tequila starts pouring out when you remove the shaft there's other problems to think about... ;)

Well put it this way, if tequila starts pouring out when you remove the shaft there's other problems to think about... ;)
I hate this thing if I don't Ck every space it prints other words completely thanks ill take the tequila my self

If tequila starts coming out the next shop purchase is a 5gal bucket of sour mix and an ice maker.

So I had some spare time this weekend and decided to do a bit of surgery.

A little history. My lathe is tagged with property tags from Detroit Edison. It was sold to someone in the Cleveland area. It was then purchased and made the trip back to the metro Detroit area (the gentleman I bought it from only wanted the collet chuck on it) where I purchased it from. The person I bought it from told me he was told it was from the maintenance department at DTE. This seems to pass the sniff test as the ways are almost pristine while having quite a few "apprentice marks" on the carriage.

It looks like someone had to repair the screw at some point. They look to have done a very good job, the screw is very straight but it just didn't have the length to bump out tooling. The end of the screw was tapped/threaded 1/4-20. After chasing and cleaning up the threads, I turned down a bolt head to fit through the passage and placed a 60 deg point on it.

I tested to made sure it released properly, applied some blue loctite and called it a day.

Back