Hendey Lathe Refurbish

Would anyone have any interest in another Hendey refurbish thread? Or is one enough?
I'm really not trying to bore anyone to tears...
Thanks- Bear
I like rebuilding machines myself, even if I'm not up to the quality of work you do. For that reason, I'm interested in more refurbishing threads. My challenge is that I never really *finish* refurbishing, I just keep playing with things.

I am about to start refurbishing this Hendey, and have been debating on whether to do a build thread on it, or not...

Would anyone have any interest in another Hendey refurbish thread?
+ 1 for interest in more Hendey restoration. Who knows what we'll learn from this one that the first didn't teach us? You did a great job illustrating and explaining your last restoration, so if you can share this next project we'll all be grateful.
Do you take requests? If you could make #3 a Hendey gear head lathe, I'd be even more excited about that!
:)

Of course there's interest. It's what we do around here.
I guess having two of these lathes means you're considered "Hendey" around the house...

Ummm... 3... a 12" and, now, 2 14"s...

Yeah, I know... :laughing:

Hey, what about that Pratt and Whitney 1909 lathe.
Now there's a project

I'm thinking... just thinking...

I like rebuilding machines myself, even if I'm not up to the quality of work you do. For that reason, I'm interested in more refurbishing threads. My challenge is that I never really *finish* refurbishing, I just keep playing with things.

Thanks, I just do what I can, right or wrong... just try not to make it worse.
+ 1 for interest in more Hendey restoration. Who knows what we'll learn from this one that the first didn't teach us? You did a great job illustrating and explaining your last restoration, so if you can share this next project we'll all be grateful.
Do you take requests? If you could make #3 a Hendey gear head lathe, I'd be even more excited about that!
:)

Thanks! Maybe one day I'll run across a gearhead, I'm definately not ruling that out.

Ok, I'm convinced... I'll start another build thread on the 14 x 8. Be looking for 'Another Hendey Refurbish', coming soon!

I'm glad someone else is getting something out of what I'm doing... I know I'm enjoying it!

-Bear

I'm going to temporarily revive this thread to update what I'm currently doing with this lathe...

If you have been following my other thread 'Another Hendey Refurbish', you may know that I removed the drive system from this lathe and installed it on Hendey project #2... I originally intended this to be a temporary swap, just to be able to run #2 and thoroughly check it out.

But then I acquired another drive system, very similar to this one... It is the same bracket, and an identical Turner Uni-Drive gearbox, with a 1HP motor.

So, instead of swapping everything back around, I've decided to put the 'new' drive system back on this lathe... with a 2HP motor.

I pressure washed the bracket system today... as soon as it dries, I'll get it prepped and painted and get the motor / gearbox mocked up and mounted...

I haven't taken any pictures, but will post some in the next few days.

-Bear

I really liked this thread. But I have to say, you must have a very large basement. A 2000 mile round trip?! Good lord man! I'm grumpy driving 6 blocks for groceries.

I really liked this thread. But I have to say, you must have a very large basement. A 2000 mile round trip?! Good lord man! I'm grumpy driving 6 blocks for groceries.

Thanks... my basement is about 2100 square feet... and is getting pretty full! Every time I buy a machine, I have to clean out an area to put it... not necessarily a bad thing.

There's not a lot of machines available in my area... mostly either junk, way overpriced, or both... so I decided a while back that I would have to travel to get what I want... again, not a bad thing, we enjoy road trips!

-Bear

Back