Hendey Lathe Refurbish

lovely work, though you were cutting it a little fine on the old keyway in the bushing :) Looking forward to the rest of the resto. Are you keeping the SB (13? 16?) once the Hendey is finished?

Have you decided on color? I know it's not everyones choice, but the old machines
look good in black.

lovely work, though you were cutting it a little fine on the old keyway in the bushing :) Looking forward to the rest of the resto. Are you keeping the SB (13? 16?) once the Hendey is finished?

My South Bend 14 ½ is not going anywhere... even if the Hendey turns out to be a better lathe, mainly because I have a lot more tooling for it than I will probably ever find for the Hendey (faceplate, steady rest, etc).

Besides.... I really enjoy running the old SB...

-Bear

Have you decided on color? I know it's not everyones choice, but the old machines
look good in black.

I did... I decided on gray...

I just finished painting one of the legs...

20201203_140815.jpg

Now I'm second guessing that color... I thought it would be a good bit darker than that. I must be colorblind... when I looked at this color on the website, it looked a lot darker...

-Bear

This is what it looks like on the internet...

20201203_142203.jpg

Thats not what it turned out to be...

-Bear

Not even close...

Still,it's hard to go wrong with any shade of gray..

Give it a little time.

Enamel takes quite a while for the volatiles to dry out, getting darker with each day.

Got a plant full of equipment painted with that exact brand and color. Also watch your lighting, florescent lights can really throw the shading off.

Today, it was too cold to paint in the shop, so I brought the lead screw into the basement and cleaned it up. It was pretty grungy, especially out on the tailstock end where it never gets used. It cleaned up pretty well, there is no damage on it, and no visible wear.

20201208_121745.jpg

The collar that retains the lead screw in the gearbox has, at some point in its history, been removed with vise grips or maybe a pipe wrench... it's pretty chewed up.

20201208_121758.jpg

I'm debating on how to proceed with it... option 1 would be to mount it on an arbor in the lathe and take a skim cut on the OD, and see if it can be cleaned up without becoming too small. Option 2 would be to machine a new one. The thread is a 'Hendey exclusive'... it is a 15/16" x 14 TPI... so if I make a new one, I will have to turn an outside thread to fit the collar, then use it as a gage when I cut the inside thread on the new collar.

That is a job for another day...

-Bear

This morning I set the lead screw collar up on the lathe and took a skim cut to remove the damage... I removed about .020". This was enough to get about 90% cleanup on it.

20201209_180653.jpg

I'll call that good enough... it won't be seen after I get the smaller gearbox installed, anyway.

I then went out to the shop and put a second coat of paint on the bed and legs.

While the paint was drying, I worked on cleaning the rack up and bolted it back to the bed.

Later this afternoon, I brought the bed and legs into the basement and put them into the space that I had cleared out for the lathe's permanent home.

20201209_181357.jpg

I'm planning to put the bed back on the legs tomorrow morning and see how level I can get it.

-Bear

Last edited:
Back