Hendey Lathe Refurbish

I love watching you rebuild this beautiful machine and you are doing a fantastic job, but I must say it also reminds me of why I will never rebuild an old machine:bang head:.

I love watching you rebuild this beautiful machine and you are doing a fantastic job, but I must say it also reminds me of why I will never rebuild an old machine:bang head:.

Figuring out how to repair the problem parts is the most difficult part, but also the most fun... sometimes the repairs that I come up with actually works, sometimes they don't.

I just tell myself 'well, it's no good the way it is, might as well try something...'

I learn a lot this way... how to do things, and how NOT to do things!

-Bear

Ok, I have an issue that I'd like opinions about....

Back in post #31 of this thread I detailed how I repaired a broken tooth on the front of the gearbox. I had originally planned to paint the gearbox, but leave the face around the gear selector (the 'vector' if that is what you call it?) bare and polish it like my little Hendey... (it's a little rusty)...

20210117_235655.jpg

But that will leave a brass colored tooth...

So I decided to paint it along with the rest of the gearbox.

Now I realize that the paint will be getting scratched/ chipped badly as the gears are changed... and before long will look bad. Just moving the selector during assembly already has the paint starting to look rough.

20210116_160639.jpg

Opinions: should I leave it painted and just live with it or remove the paint and polish it and take pride in my gold tooth?

I am more concerned with function over looks, but I'm also trying to get it looking decent...

What say you?

-Bear

1) I looked back at post #31. Even "gold," the tooth looks great. You could definitely leave it shined up an looking proud.

2) It will eventually get some kind of patina, might not stand out as much over time.

3) Wild hair ... if you want to quickly dull the gold color down a bit, you might try "liver of sulfur." It's sodium and potassium sulfide. Smells bad, and not real good for you. Should be available at craft stores or Amazon. When applied to copper (and copper containing alloys?) it turns the surface various shades of dark ... all the way to black. I guess you could experiment with it a bit, and see if it'll end up a greyish shade close to that of the nearby cast iron. And if you don't like the color, you can always polish it off and get back to the original golden hue.

Well... I finished up with the gearboxes today...

20210118_162221.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. I still need to get some new springs for the handles. The springs that were on it are too stiff.

I'm not sure where or how to order springs, it may be a trial and error process.

-Bear

Nice! And I see you took the paint off the front of the gearbox. That looks great, too.

Thanks- I had to make them both match... lol.

-Bear

Not much done this morning... I dug into my stash of spare hardware and found some springs that work good on the gearbox handles. I also reassembled the backgear...

20210119_110750.jpg

I'm down to cleaning, painting, and reassembling the guards and tailstock assembly, then I'll move on to the transmission mount, transmission, and motor.

I still haven't found a compound... I may not be able to get one, they are pretty rare. I'll probably have to find something from another manufacturer and adapt it to fit.

I'm still looking, though...

-Bear

I spent the morning cleaning and painting the various guards that cover the backgears and the gears on the outboard side of the headstock...

This afternoon, after the paint was dry, I installed them on the lathe...

20210120_215259.jpg

I still have to clean and paint the lower gear guard... it was so grimy, I decided to let it soak in the parts cleaner overnight.

I began looking at the transmission... I am planning to thoroughly disassemble and clean it and replace the shaft seals, paint it, and replace the flat belt pulley. The one that is on it is pretty rough...

20210120_215330.jpg

As far as I can tell, it is a steel pulley with a layer of some sort of soft fiber type material or maybe badly deteriorated rubber... it needs to be replaced.

-Bear

Back