Hendey Refurbish #3

I started on another knob this morning...

20220111_114546.jpg

This will be the carriage feed clutch knob.

I decided to machine this knob on Hendey #2... I'm making Hendey parts on a Hendey... what could be better than that?

I'm really starting to like #2...

-Bear

I finished the second knob this morning... both of the feed clutch knobs are done, now...20220113_101215.jpg

Next, I'll start on the taper attachment adjusting knob...

I've also been working on cleaning the apron casting and internal parts. I'll hopefully be ready to paint the casting soon.

With this lathe, I started with the apron instead of starting with the legs and bed like I did on the first two... because it's simply been too cold outside to get out and pressure wash the legs and chip pan.

That will have to wait until the weather warms up a bit.

-Bear

Nice work on the the knobs. I have a friend down in Georgia now taking care of her mom. It's gotten down to the 50's during the days, and 30's at night. She finds it amusing that they consider that cold. She normally lives up near me at 8k', Where 30-45 below is not uncommon. All what you are used to I guess. Mike

Nice work on the the knobs. I have a friend down in Georgia now taking care of her mom. It's gotten down to the 50's during the days, and 30's at night. She finds it amusing that they consider that cold. She normally lives up near me at 8k', Where 30-45 below is not uncommon. All what you are used to I guess. Mike

I've never figured out how to run a pressure washer without getting soaked... even mid 50's is too cold when I'm soaked!

-Bear

I've got a set of fowl weather gear someone gave me. Helps a lot with the cold when pressure washing. Keeps most of the grease and dirt of your clothes too. Mike

I worked on the apron casting this morning... at some point in this lathes history, most (or all, maybe) of the ball oilers on the lathe have been replaced with gits oil cups. I'm guessing this may have been done when the lathe was overhauled by Hendey in 1938, but that is just a guess.

Anyway, I needed to remove all the cups from the apron to thoroughly clean the oil passages, and also to paint the casting.

20220118_111258.jpg

There are 10 of these tiny cups on the apron... but how to remove them without damaging them?

After careful measuring of the inner (smaller) diameter of the cups with guage pins, I simply ran a #10-32 tap through the lower holes, threaded a screw into them...

20220118_111412.jpg

then gripped the screw head with my pliers and worked them out...

20220118_111449.jpg

All 10 came out fairly easily, with no damage at all. They all should be re-useable after they are cleaned good.

-Bear

I finally found some time to work on the Hendey this afternoon. I finished stripping the bed and removed the legs and chip pan...

20220302_152605.jpg

20220302_152614.jpg

This lathe is almost as nasty as my first Hendey project. Almost...

I have a big pile of parts now... this isn't everything, but most of the parts are on this table...

20220302_152552.jpg

There is a dealer tag still attached to the bed riser..

20220302_152638.jpg

I'll take it off, clean it, and put it back on after I paint the bed.

The next couple of days, I plan to do a lot of scraping crud, degreasing, and pressure washing the legs, pan, and bed, and get it ready for paint.

-Bear

Back