Hendey Refurbish #3

I have a feeling that what you would judge as failure would be my success. Well done. What H mill do you have? Dave

I'm familiar with old and ugly. The car behind it makes it look almost new. K and T also ? Dave

The car and the K&T have both been scrapped... the car was a rustbucket that I bought for parts... the K&T had already been pretty much stripped out... the spindle speed control and the power feed drive assemblies were missing. It wasn't worth trying to repair, so I scrapped it.

-Bear

Sad to see old stuff scrapped, makes me feel like I'm next. Dave

You might like this mill.

Is that a big Cincinnatti? It looks good...

I hated to scrap the old K&T, but it was in very poor condition... the motor was connected directly to the spindle with a v-belt, so it ran way too fast. The spindle was the only thing left in it... everything else, gears, shafts, etc had been gutted.

I salvaged the motor and the Bridgeport vise that came with it, sold the arbor supports to another H-M member, and saved both of the round overarms. After selling what was left for scrap, I actually made a small profit.

I use the overarms as rollers to move my 5000+ pound shaper into my basement... they worked good for that!

-Bear

Rambaudi UR60. Head moves vertical and horizontal. Column moves up and down on a 45 and what is most unusual, the head has a large quill with 6" of reach. Very nice although I use the Sharp VH25 more. Dave

This morning I set the bar up on the horizontal mill and machined the counterbores...

20220328_091024.jpg

The one in the notch I used a 1" endmill... the counterbore inside the pocket was machined with a reverse spotface. The critical dimension is the distance between the two counterbore faces... I managed to hit it within 0.001".

Checking it for fit with a VERY greasy cross slide lead screw...

20220328_091622.jpg

It fits pretty good...

Next I set it up on the vertical mill and machined the angled area in the end of the pocket... the angle is just to make it easier to install the retaining nut on the end of the lead screw.

This is what it looks like now...

20220328_094743.jpg

20220328_094803.jpg

Now I need to set up the rotary table on the vertical mill and radius the pivot end..

But... I don't have any way to lift the RT... it's about 200 lbs and I'm not interested in screwing my back up... I'll have to mount an anchor in the ceiling to hang a chain hoist from.

-Bear

But... I don't have any way to lift the RT... it's about 200 lbs and I'm not interested in screwing my back up... I'll have to mount an anchor in the ceiling to hang a chain hoist from.

-Bear
How in the world have you refurbished all this old iron without an engine hoist or a portable gantry?

Back