Hendey Refurbish #3

Great thread and good work. I see you’ve some other restoration threads as well. I’ll be reading through them all now I’ve seen this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working on the taper attachment some... I painted the base and installed it today...

20220725_160100.jpg

Next I need to make the long gib that goes between the base and the slide.

Once I get it all together, I'll need to figure out how to build a bed clamp... that will be complicated... I'd like to make it look original, or close to original, if I can. I'm still trying to come up with a plan...

-Bear

What kind of paint are you using, Bear? My only experience with types of paint is automotive. Yours, I suspect, is single stage. Is it made specifically for machinery, and are your colors original? Also, where do you paint it?

Everything I've seen that you painted looks factory.

Regards

What kind of paint are you using, Bear? My only experience with types of paint is automotive. Yours, I suspect, is single stage. Is it made specifically for machinery, and are your colors original? Also, where do you paint it?

Everything I've seen that you painted looks factory.

Regards

Hey, Terry... how are ya'll?

On this machine, I am using Massey Ferguson gray farm implement paint from Tractor Supply. I do all my painting in my shop building... I don't like having the fumes in the house.

-Bear

We're doing great - how about y'all?

You're getting very nice finishes on your paint jobs. I suspect MF implement paint is good quality - especially for a piece of equipment that will never be out in the weather. Nice work.

Regards

Looking great! I'm sure my buddy Jeff would be proud to see the work that you've done on his old lathe!

I've started machining the long gibs for the taper attachment. I am making this gib in two 12 inch pieces...

I had to set up a second vise in the horizontal mill and get it trammed to match the first vise. To do this, I simply clamped a length of 1-½ inch steel round stock in the first vise, then closed and clamped the second vise on the round stock. Then, with the vise clamped to the stock, I toe clamped the vise to the table.

20220728_160731.jpg

This ensured that the two vises are very closely aligned.

20220728_165125.jpg

It seems to be working out pretty well.

-Bear

Bear, do you still sweep the two vises to fine tune the alignment or do you find that clamping to a bar is within a few tenths?

I’ve just read through all three Hendy Lathe restoration threads - amazing work!

Am I correct in saying that you now have 5 Hendy lathes? One for each of the restoration threads, a donor Hendy you bought in this thread and a Hendy you already had? If so, you could start a Hendy museum and start charging an entry fee!

Back