Hercus 260 (south Bend Gs26-075)

Here is the reason for learning the threading...

I got myself a quick change tool holder/post but my lathe doesn't use a "T" nut so I had to make a post bolt to fit the compound slide. The thread is 12 TPI but the nut for the tool post is a metric 2 mm pitch. So I determined to learn what I needed to make one.

20171030_083521.jpg

What made it complicated for a novice like me was that I had to learn and execute both a metric and a whitworth thread.

One last thing I need to do is get some spanner flats milled into it so I can tighten it down in the compound.
But I got it done. Its a very humble achievement but I learnt a lot about how to use this lathe and about general turning too.

20171029_114445.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the reason for learning the threading...

I got myself a quick change tool holder/post but my lathe doesn't use a "T" nut so I had to make a post bolt to fit the compound slide. The thread is 12 TPI but the nut for the tool post is a metric 2 mm pitch. So I determined to learn what I needed to make one.

View attachment 245611

What made it complicated for a novice like me was that I had to learn and execute both a metric and a whitworth thread.

One last thing I need to do is get some spanner flats milled into it so I can tighten it down in the compound.
But I got it done. Its a very humble achievement but I learnt a lot about how to use this lathe and about general turning too.

View attachment 245612
Very nice job, Ludwig!

Thanks Bob.

My friends use my first given name, Boris.

Last edited:
If the "chips" are long like curly hair rather than short "C's" or they are brown or dark blue in colour does that indicate something is incorrectly adjusted like speed or feed rate?

20171103_150813.jpg

Last edited:
I had a bit of success - 5C collets an adapter - the blokes in the machine section made a draw tube with a hand wheel to fit.

20171212_215046_zpsluuphica.jpg

20171212_215014_zpsxmozib4t.jpg

Hi Boris- How long have you owned your Hercus? How plentiful are they down there?
Mark S.

Since November last year.

They were relatively common, when I was a high school student in the 70's every high school had at least 6 of them in the metalwork room. Almost every technical college had them as a teaching tool.

Forty years later they are still prized as well made machines. I work at a large technical college in Sydney and in the machining section they have 4. Of course, they have many lathes, all sorts of bigger lathes and CNC lathes etc. too but they still have the Hercus 260.

Back