Hercus 260 (south Bend Gs26-075)

I was able to get my hands on a genuine Hercus taper turning attachment for my lathe. It still had lots of wax on it so I believe it has not been used.
Cleaned all the wax off oiled it well and put it into place on the lathe to see how it all goes together since there is very little literature and images.

Anyway for the record I decided to put a few photos in this thread.

20180727_115456.jpg20180727_115507.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Boris, If your research for a taper turning attachment found another one I would be very interested in getting one for a project I have in mind.Great score for your lathe.
I haven't read back through this thread but did you ever work out what Taper your headstock has?

Nice job replacing the belt.

If your lathe is a rebadged Southbend, the taper is likely not a Morse Taper. You will need to make a custom taper based on measuring the taper angle. A pain. I do not know why SB did the proprietary taper.

If you want to purchase an adapter, this US shop sells them.

Miller Fabrication

Hi Boris, If your research for a taper turning attachment found another one I would be very interested in getting one for a project I have in mind.Great score for your lathe.
I haven't read back through this thread but did you ever work out what Taper your headstock has?

Yes, I did finally figure out the spindle taper. It's. .602 per foot. So same slope as a MT3 but larger. See post #33 and subsequent.

Nice job replacing the belt.

If your lathe is a rebadged Southbend, the taper is likely not a Morse Taper. You will need to make a custom taper based on measuring the taper angle. A pain. I do not know why SB did the proprietary taper.

If you want to purchase an adapter, this US shop sells them.

Miller Fabrication

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the link.

The belt exercise was really my first maintrnce project on a lathe and although it took some time to figure it all out it turned out great. Haven't looked back since.

Got myself a faceplate which I think I could use with a dog to turn between centres.

20180814_210001.jpg

Last edited:
Back