Hercus 260

They can be. Brand new, some of my chucks would cost more than most of the lathes you're looking at.

Yikes!
Most of the time here I feel like a stranger in a strange land, completely out of my league!

You can do it on the cheap if you are patient and know what you're looking for. Still, hobby machining is a very slippery slope!

I just checked my local tool supply and I can get a 2-ton hoist for $299. Seems like a steal to me.
So it's at a school which looks like it's closing down its vocational program. Sad really.
I can't identify the other lathes in the background.

Here's another shot.
View attachment 307384
Well, the lathes in the background look like a pair of Standard Modern 16/40 lathes, very common in schools. It's what I learned on. If you had the space... but the little Hercus will do you well, too.

I just came across this thread read it to the end, but there's no punch line....

Were you able to buy the lathe or did you miss it or pass it up?

In the end I lost the auction. I was having a super busy day and missed the closing bell. Went for close to $1200 IIRC

I did some research and apparently it’s an Australian clone of a SB 9.
Bidding is currently at $510. 3 days left.
I’m going to let it sit till close to end and come in with a larger bid.

The engine hoist is a fold up unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David as you have discovered that lathe is a clone of the SB, and I believe came in 3 models. The factory stopped production on that machine in 2001 as they could no longer compete with chinese imports

You probably have already discovered that the Hercus brand is highly regarded on both sides of the pacific. Their factory is in my hometown, Adelaide South Australia, and although they no longer make lathes, a wide range of spare parts are still available. The company currently operates as a gear cutting business.

Depending on condition, I suspect it would be a good buy even at twice that price. The final price, of course, reflects the respect for the brand. Good luck.

G'day Bob,

I'm fairly certain AMH bought all the spare parts and drawings from Hercus so any spares come from them See below.

I eventually bought a 1975 South Bend 10K with a 48" bed. Bought from the second owner. It was very lightly used as it still had the original scraping marks the entire length of the bed.

Back