Hercus 9" A, extra gears in steps of 5T

Dave022

Registered
Registered
I have a set of gears with my Hercus 9 alongside the 'normal setup' on the machine i.e 40T & 56T, 80T with boss etc

i have two 25T, 30T, 35T, 40T, 50T, 55T, 60T, 70T, 80T, 90T, and 100T

What could these be used for?

Threading, I assume. Does it have a chart showing change gears for threading and feeding? Is it a change gear or quick change machine?

Its quick change. The manual doesn't specify the use of any gears with these teeth in any threading chart. I know that there are 127/100 or 60/63 transposing for metric. I also know that there is a 54 gear with the South Bend 9" which I don't have

There are special change gears for quick change lathes for cutting pitches that are not on the chart, although those do not look likely candidates.

when i had my hercus arh, it also had a qcgb.
i had a spare 20T gear, but you would normally use the 40T for most feeds or threading
there were threads and feeds displayed on the qcgb legend for both 20T and 40T gears

i suspect, the extra gears were not stock to your machine- but it sure opens a world of possibilities
so many feeds, so many threads that can be cut

calculating gear ratios will get interesting for all the change gears and the qcgb

Here's an excel spreadsheet I put together for my Jet 1024 lathe when I needed to cut a thread pitch that wasn't on the factory tables. It is a live spreadsheet, so if you update the gears and the QCGB ratios for your Lathe, you will be able to see what threads your extra gears can cut.

Attachments

• Jet Lathe Threading Table - HM.xlsx
    69.4 KB · Views: 10
Back