Hercus 9" Workshop Lathe Model ARH Serial #15548V

Hi, I am new to this site and looking through the Hercus stuff as I am from South Australia, I just wanted to make comment on your gearbox, you have a rare one of those too in the fact that it can cut an 11 and a half TPI , Your plate has P/No 363A for the slight change of gears that they did, if you compare my plate to yours you will see the difference in the some of the different threads it will cut.

Regards Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Hi, I am new to this site and looking through the Hercus stuff as I am from South Australia, I just wanted to make comment on your gearbox, you have a rare one of those too in the fact that it can cut an 11 and a half TPI , Your plate has P/No 363A for the slight change of gears that they did, if you compare my plate to yours you will see the difference in the some of the different threads it will cut.

Regards Steve
You have a ARL, mine was an ARH.
I’m assuming that is the difference
I sold it last year to a former employee ( I wish I would have kept it)

It was a beautiful machine .
I upgraded to a 3/4hp 2 speed motor
It worked phenomenally on every job i gave it, even before the upgrade.

I have nothing but good things to say about these great lil machines

You have a ARL, mine was an ARH.
I’m assuming that is the difference
I sold it last year to a former employee ( I wish I would have kept it)

It was a beautiful machine .
I upgraded to a 3/4hp 2 speed motor
It worked phenomenally on every job i gave it, even before the upgrade.

I have nothing but good things to say about these great lil machines
The H on your old lathe is for Hardened ways, the L on mine is for Long bed which was 9 inches longer and the F in on mine is for Fast or High Speed as mine has a top speed of 2600 rpm and there were a few other differences like balanced pulleys and different sized pulleys.

That makes me wonder if the V in my serial number is for V-belts. Did some of the Hercus models come with SB's flat belts?

The early machines had flat belts but V is for the different motor voltage for the export lathes so all the letters on these are as follows.
A gearbox with power feeds
B power feed carriage
C no power feed
F high speed (9" models only as 260 had speeds on the headstock)
H Hardened bed
L long bed (49" as standard is 40")
M metric
N precision model with less than half tolerance
R roller bearing headstock
T 260 models only belt driven
V voltage for export
G geared head model
D double drive shafts

That makes me wonder if the V in my serial number is for V-belts. Did some of the Hercus models come with SB's flat belts?
The two machines I used in my apprenticeship, were quite different except for the size, One of them did have flat belts the other had V belts, one had a norton GB the other used change gears. It's so long ago that I can't remember which is/was which, but they were great little machines. They weren't normally overloaded because we had 3 larger lathes for heavier work.

does anyone have any links to the documents for the smaller hercus lathe the precision workshop AR series lathe? I recently took possession of one which will get me started. I cant seem to find any. it looks very similar to the Myford lathes

does anyone have any links to the documents for the smaller hercus lathe the precision workshop AR series lathe? I recently took possession of one which will get me started. I cant seem to find any. it looks very similar to the Myford lathes
A bit late, I'm sorry, but maybe what you are after is the Hercus Textbook of Turning. Can be found with a Google search. Unfortunately, I'm not yet allowed to post links :)

Back