Hercus 9" Workshop Lathe Model ARH Serial #15548V

Thanks Mike, & Bill!
iv'e had the lathe for a while now, almost 2 years.

i added this video to the thread as reference for anybody trying to learn about the Hercus Lathe
thank you for your comments! :grin:

When I first saw the pics I thought it was a Myford or derivative thereof. :)

But the more I looked at it I can see the resemblance to the SB. Regardless, it's a good looking lathe. Enjoy.

Thanks Bill!
the Myford,and Hercus are both clones of the SB lathes.
Some of the parts are interchangeable even between brands!

after some much needed lathe cleaning, i found a hidden tome from days past.
read if you will,
a guide written (DWZ 386/71) and then had the specification test for my lathe written on page 6 (1975), and stowed away for nearly 41 years before i was to look upon it.
now you can too...
enjoy
Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B1.jpg Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B2.jpg
Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B3.jpg Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B4.jpg
Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B5.jpg Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B6.jpg
Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B7.jpg Hercus%2BARH%2BDoc%2B8.jpg

Last edited:
i"m Totally stoked, i just fell onto a pristine but dirty Hercus 9" workshop lathe on craigslist.

For those who don't know the Hercus Lathe is a improved copy of the 9" south bend model A.
they were imported from Australia, manufactured in Thebarton.
it uses V belts instead of flat belts
9 x 22" between centers
it has a quick change gearbox and power crossfeed
8 speeds are attainable and cuts 56 different threads from 4 tpi to 224 tpi.
crossfeeds from .0015 to .0853"
it came with a 5" backing plate 1 1/2" x 8 tpi
a 3 jaw chuck that runs .001" tir on a .500" dowel :))
timken taper rollers supporting the 3/4" through hole
MT3 taper in the spindle nose, MT2 Tailstock taper
double v ways
a follower rest
a steady rest
articulated threading dial
quick change gearbox
back geared
mounted on a heavy duty storage stand.

the old beast weighs a ton!
but i got her settled in and cleaned up and oiled up enough to see if she still wanted to go to work.
everything worked after careful oiling and sounded really good.
i'll take some test cuts tomorrow after work.

thanks for reading,

You have indeed got a lucky find, look after her well. I grew up only about 6 miles from the Hercus factory, And when it came time to become an apprentice fitter/ turner/ toolmaker, a 9"hercus was one of the many machines I was trained on. I don't remember the exact year it was built but probably in the mid 50's, I began my 5 year apprenticeship in Jan 1960.

I remember the little Hercus quite well it was great for small delicate work, as the next size lathe we had was a 16 x 36 and then a couple of slightly larger ones and finally one with a swing of about 3ft. We had all kinds of machines including slab surface grinders, Cincinati tool and cutter grinders, a fairly large radial arm drill, an equally large jig borer, a couple of Bridgeport milling machines, a shaper ,and a pantograph, and a Doall bandsaw. and a filing machiine a number of drilling machines so I was able to enjoy a very diversified training.

G'day Bob!
thank you for having a look!
i absolutely love the lil Hercus! it is a very capable and precise machine-
i really can't think of how i would improve it, it is beautiful to operate and look at as well.
it sounds like you had excellent cross training!
thank you for stopping by and commenting
cheers! :grin:

After all this time its probably pining for the caress of a calloused Aussie hand.
I think you should pack it up and send it back home.

cheers Phil
Yes Please, second hand Hercus lathes in good condition can cost as much as a new chinese lathe. Hercus ceased production in or about 200
G'day Bob!
thank you for having a look!
i absolutely love the lil Hercus! it is a very capable and precise machine-
i really can't think of how i would improve it, it is beautiful to operate and look at as well.
it sounds like you had excellent cross training!
thank you for stopping by and commenting
cheers! :grin:

they were in their day one of the best small machines on the market, unfortunately many people overloaded tem and did a lot of damage, even here in the homeland they say you've got as much chance of finding rocking horse **** as you have of getting a good second hand one, they've all been worked to death and then some.

Back