Hercus tool changer

colinmuskett

Registered
Registered
As you may have noted from my other posts my new,well new to me Hercus lathe has a q/c tool post. I would like to fit an auto tool changer.The chances of finding a Hercus one is unlikely so any suggestions for an alternative.

Are you looking for a turret tool changer rather than using a gang tool setup?

If I could find something suitable that would be an easy fit, I am the village idiot when it comes to CNC. We have a handicapped son who does odd bits for me but would like to be able to give him a bit more work and when I get this running he will be able to run it with a little help.
Thanks for your reply.
Colin.

If you have enough cross slide travel, a gang tool system is the easiest. It's just a plate with a series of holes in it to mount tools and it bolts to the cross slide.
1543694793003.png
A turret tool changer would require getting into the electronics and software to drive it. Might not be too bad if that option is available from the factory, but could be a nightmare if it's not.

Having said that, it might be possible to adapt a purely mechanical turret off of a turret lathe.

The Hercus has 4" of cross slide movement. I have been playing with a block of wood today trying different positions and tool spacings. The qc tool post is in the wrong place for maximum tool numbers. I think I have cracked it I have a design that will give me 5 tools using 4 12 mm diameter holes and one 16 mm hole for a parting tool.
Thanks for the help.

Back