Here is Plans for a super simple engine

rleete

Registered
Registered
Over on HMEM, there was a period of time where everyone seemed to be making them. I was among the crowd, and it will run on lung power quite well.

It's one of Elmer's engines, and plans may be found on:
http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans3.html

Fairly simple to make, but there are many ways to customize it.

Edit: link fixed

These are great little engines and can really spin up some rpm's with minimal pressure. Great for a weekend project.

Bill

When I made mine, I had about 4 or 5 engines all in various stages of progress. I was determined to actually finish one. So, I set myself a deadline of Monday morning, and after work Friday I went down into the shop and started the rocker. I worked some that night (mosly laying out, gathering materials, etc.) and spent most of the day Saturday milling and turning parts. Sunday was spent polishing & assembling. By mid afternoon, I had my first runner. Oh, what a feeling!

I remember being extra fussy getting the bore and piston to fit perfectly. It ran, but was kinda tight, and took about 3-4 PSI to get it going. I ended up putting some polishing compound and oil in the bore, and running it at high speed on 12-15 PSI. Afterwards, I cleaned it all up, and it ran on less than 1 pound of pressure. I have run it many times since, and the more I run it, the looser it gets, but the better it runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats really cool, I down loaded the plans but I have so many projects I'll prolly never get to it.

Paul

What are you wanting to convert to? Decimals? Metric?

Rather than a chart, I usually use a calculator for the fractions that don't pop into my head, like 61/64, for instance. The decimal equivalent would be 61 divided by 64, or 0.953125. Round as allowed by design.

Same with Metric. I use a calculator. 1" = 25.4, so 1/4" is 25.4 X 0.2500, or 6.35mm. If it is an odd fraction like the 61/64 above, it would be 0.953125 X 25.4, or 24.209375mm.

Is there another conversion you are working on?

I generally don't use charts for anything in conversions. Either in my head, or a calculator.

Just looking at the plans most of the hole sizes are standard with decimal equivalents...1/8", 3/16". 1/4" etc. There are a few though showing .001" over or under size. One i saw calls for a .060" dia hole. A #53 drill would be the closest at .059" and the mating shaft diameter can be modified accordingly. Maybe this drill size chart will help: http://www.engineersedge.com/drill_sizes.htm

If there are any other specific hole diameters or other sizes you are concerned about just list them here.

Generally if I list a hole size on plans that isn't a standard fractional size, I will put the actual drill size (letter or number) needed rather than the decimal equivalent. Just seems to make things easier for the builder and is especially true for a lot of tap drills.

Hope this helps.

Bill

author=helmkej link=topic=1476.msg13856#msg13856 date=1305167263
Thanks guys! I never thought about adjusting a measurement to suit my needs. Thanks for the input!

I do that all the time. :) Some dimensions given in plans are not at all critical and I don't hesitate in changing them as best suits me. ;)

Well changing some things to suit tooling on hand or material on hand is fine and often necessary. Part of the learning curve is knowing what can be changed easily and with no ill effects and what other changes may have more significant consequences and what they are. This little engine if pretty forgiving actually, so long as the piston diameter and cylinder bore match well.

Bill

author=b.lindsey link=topic=1476.msg13962#msg13962 date=1305292360
Well changing some things to suit tooling on hand or material on hand is fine and often necessary. Part of the learning curve is knowing what can be changed easily and with no ill effects and what other changes may have more significant consequences and what they are. This little engine if pretty forgiving actually, so long as the piston diameter and cylinder bore match well.

Bill

This is SO TRUE! Suppose I wanted to build this little engine; given that I only have metric drill bits I would try to replace all drilling measurements to closely matching metric ones. On the other hand I might leave the length measurements unchanged, since they are tool size independent.

Jose

Back