Heres my new lathe

Vince_O

Active User
Registered
As I stated in the newbe section, Ive never used one of these, meaning a tool to cut metal, unless you call my small drill press a metal cutting tool. Any way my friends that have lathe, real big things that are 3 phase machines, said that I need to keep my eye open for a small lathe. Ive been to auctions over the years, see how long Ive been looking for a deal, but stuff was always out of reach for me. One day I came home and saw an add on CL for this, 50 bucks, I went and got it.

Now its up to you all to help me out on using this. This is the only tool I have for it, the cover is missing and people give me mixed ideas on needing change gears. Im still making room in the shop for it, have a place that I want to put it, but theres an eng there right now waiting on a part to install in a garden tractor. Im hoping by Thanksgiving I will have it mounted and running.

Can someone please tell me what tool I ave and what it is used for. Also I know I cant make my own tooling from blanks, but is there something I can but cheap, like under 100 bucks to start to learn with. Im thinking Im going to break something, well I have visions of it any way. Ive been watching a lot of Tubal Cain vidios on you tube for the basics. Many are over my head but something like the facing vid Ill watch a few times a week to get it in my head.

Thanks Vince

you stole it. what a cutie. you have all but the motor to start making swarf. 1/3 hp- 1800 rpm would do it i think. and a step pulley exactly like the one on the lathe. go git um . . . make round things rounder :)

Can someone please tell me what tool I ave and what it is used for. Also I know I cant make my own tooling from blanks, but is there something I can but cheap, like under 100 bucks to start to learn with. Im thinking Im going to break something, well I have visions of it any way. Ive been watching a lot of Tubal Cain vidios on you tube for the basics. Many are over my head but something like the facing vid Ill watch a few times a week to get it in my head.

Thanks Vince

Here's a set of inexpensive HSS pre-sharpened tool bits: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2250

You can either use them as they are, or keep them untouched so that you can copy them when grinding your own from HSS blanks.

M

Dog gone it!!! You stole that machine... An atlas/clausing for 50 bucks is pretty close to the steal of the century. Now a little motor work and a belt and you will be off and running before you know it. The link that 7HC gave you is an excelent source of tooling and how to dvds too. If you have some time get a copy of "Running the Lathe" by southbend. It is as old as we are but has a ton of pertinent and current info that is a great start in the hobby. Go get e,...
Bob

Hi, Vince.

Talk about hitting the ground running. You start out your 'career' with a tool gloat and feed us pictures right off the bat.

When you're looking for a motor, try to get one that shows how to change rotation direction on the connection diagram. There are several threads here that show how to connect the switch to reverse the motor when needed. Comes in handy down the road. The 1800 RPM motor David mentioned may say 1725 on the label - same thing. If you happen to find a 1/2 HP motor before you find a 1/3, go for it.

If you don't already have one, keep your eye open for a bench grinder. A 6" will do nicely. Tubalcain has a good video on tool grinding. It's not that hard to do, with a bit of patience and a pot of water.

Guys I DO have the motor and other pully, no belt. What I dont have is a cover, am I going to catch my hand in it if I dont have a cover? Im looking on ebay for them, I think too if I had the cover it would give me my speed ratios too?

I thought 50 bucks was cheap too, :rofl: but I got it! It came out of a tool room at a plant up the road. The guy bought it at the company auction and was going to learn how to use it. He sprayed it down with wd40 and stuck it in the barn, lost intrest. It was covered in hard dust and all I did was spary it down with brake cleaner and oiled everything up.

So that cutter tool in the holder what is it used for?

And Ive got my books coming so Ill be trying to read my way into this.

And a friend traded me a brand new sterrit dail indactor and another friend helped me out with some other measuring stuff.

And 7HC do I need that tool holder to use the bits you posted.

TIA

And 7HC do I need that tool holder to use the bits you posted.

TIA

The link was for 1/4" square HSS bits, which depending on the size of your tool holder will either be a perfect fit or may need some packing.
Standard/common sizes are 1/4", 3/8", 5/16", and 1/2".
Blanks and pre-sharpened bits are available from many sources, not just the LMS.

M

Last edited:
This is the only tool I have for it, the cover is missing and people give me mixed ideas on needing change gears.

Vince, dont worry about having only one tool. Thats enough to get you making big stuff smaller and rounder. The cover is no big deal, if you are the only operator and you remain aware of where and what you are doing and bystanders keep their distance, should all be good. Change gears a required for using screwcutting and automatic feed. You can still crank the handles manually to move the tool on the job.
Its a bit dated but the information available in southbends tutorial "how to run a lathe" is still very pertinent and will give you lots of basic info about setting up your tool height, workholding, what change gears are for and how they are used. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=53

Cheers Phil

Back