Hey hey let's do a treadmill motor thread!

To be on the safe side I would fuse it for the max that the board supports,1.5hp, 15 amp. That will protect the board if you push the motor too hard.
Im not an electrical engineer but to answer your questions, yes, no, and yes. You will in a sense loose the ability to use all 2.5hp.
Without the fuse the board would probably burn out if you pushed that motor full out because it would try to supply the power needed to run the motor.
This is my opinion, I’m sure others will have more to add.

Thank you for your ideas. I'm not knowledgable in this area. I can wire a house all day, but electronics aren't my forte.

Hukshawn: the "horsepower" resistor is just a low value power resistor, used for the current sensing; you can make one or buy one. The ohm value is determined by the horsepower of the motor you have. Here is a chart that lists the resistor values vs motor HP. Treadmill motors are typically way overrated in terms of horsepower, which means you'll have to make an educated guess as to the power resistor required. I'd say start at about 3/4 hp. so you would need about a 0.015 ohm resistor at about 5 watt.
Mark

Attachments

• KBresistchart.pdf
    605.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
These motor speed controls are controlled by pulses from the 'increase' and 'decrease' buttons. The more puses from the former, the faster the motor will run - and the more pulses from the latter the slowere it it go.
Disconnect the head unit wiring altogether and find the 'up' 'down' and 'grd' terminals (usually labelled) and hook ap a loose wire to the 'grd', then hook up the power and the motor. The touch the 'up' (or 'incr' terminal multiple times until the mptpr runs - then test the speed range by touching it more often. Each touch should increase the speed a fraction more. When you stop touching the terminal with the ire end, the motor should continue running at the speed its at.
Once its running, touch the 'down' (or 'decr') terminal and see if that will slow it down again. Most controllers will work just fine like that.
I'm working on a simple circuit that will allow those pulses be sent in reponse to a potentiometer, but not quite there yet....
Watch this space.
If anyone know how to do that, please chip in.

For the treadmill motor installed on my lathe. Had to fabracobble a new mounting bracket to go on the lathes motor plate, but that was simple enough cause I TOOK MY TIME....... Which I never do then wind up with a substandard item...

I have it temp wired into the m60 controller with a 1k pot.
Runs like a dream... My goodness. Where has this variable speed been all my life!
It's sooooo much quieter than the stock motor, but I think the bearings are shot in it. Very noisy. Now it's like running a lathe in a library.
I still have 50% of the pulley speed selection as before including back gears, so I have a pretty serious range of speeds and torques. I'll have to get an rpm reader and make some new labels.
IMG_20171226_163819.jpgIMG_20171226_163814.jpgIMG_20171226_163809.jpgIMG_20171226_163800.jpgI'll do up all the electrics tonight or tomorrow. And I'll need to make some kind of a guard to protect the motor. Since it's a permanent magnet motor, it'll collect all kinds of chips.
Preeetty pretty happy.

IMG_20171226_163827.jpg

Got most of it wired up in boxes. I have main ac power, an indicator light, and the speed pot in a box I'll mount beside the drum switch I will still use for fwd/stop/rev, I have that just intercepting the leads directly to the motor. And the controller mounted inside a box. The heatsink is screwed to the metal box, so I shouldn't have heat problems but if I do, I have a fan lined up.

I wish I had an electric stop/brake, but there's nothing on here for that. So I still have to let the motor wind down.

I accidently blew the dc motor fuse in the controller trying to see how quickly it will change directions. Turns out it doesn't like to be jammed into reverse. Lol
The horse power resistor in there is rated for 1hp, so I'll have to look into changing that likely. But for now I'll run it like this and see how it goes.
I'm gonna buy a tachometer cause i have no idea on speed anymore. I'll have to make new charts.

I'll replace the fuse tomorrow and button all this up hopefully and move onto the next project.
IMG_20171227_213931.jpgIMG_20171227_213910.jpgIMG_20171227_213907.jpg

I have a treadmill saved from the trash , yes it's good my daughter wanted a different one . So I figured it will or may go in my enco little Bridgeport model . It has a 1 or 1 1/2 HP on it but the cap is burst all the continuity is good so I'm sure it's ok I also had already bought the cap prior the treadmill coming to me. So not sure but ill have options to use it . May be strong enough for my planer if it's a 2 1/2 HP should be lighter up on the super structure with the overhead pulleys to run it. To many things to do and being screwed up don't help.

This change to DC with the controller has gone reasonably well enough I'd almost like to find another one and change my Bridgeport clone to DC too.

Reactions: Z2V
Back