Hey hey let's do a treadmill motor thread!

I emailed the company to see if I can get a schematic

I don't know if this will help same you some research time, Hukshawn, but I have a different model Horizon treadmill with the same motor. Being a 'registered owner' I tried calling Johnson Fitness (Owners of Horizon) to see if they'd send me a control schematic that I could send to you. No Luck. Maybe they sub these out and each lot is different?

Also of note is that the existing control won't let the motor stop immediately. It ramps down when the safety key is pulled so the runner doesn't get launched. The motor also ramps its speed up and down very smoothly. Speed change requests are fuflilled gradually, but I believe that is a feature of the control board, not the motor itself.

On the good side, that motor does an outstanding job of maintaining speed when the load changes. After noticing the smoothness of speed change requests and stride changes, I tried adding a second person to the running deck to see if the motor would lag. It didn't hesitate a bit. I think it will behave well when you send a tool into the work piece, thus increasing the load on the motor.

I believe you will like having this motor on your machine, but using the existing Horizon control board 'as-is' may be hopeless.

Hope This Helps!
Paul

Also, finding a DC controller that will have that sensor integrated is unlikely. So I will probably lose that speed control feature

If you can't find someone who has used the control board outside of the treadmill, or a schematic, it's going to be tough. I suspect the input is digital on the pins marked DA/DB. That notation is often used for RS485. But then you need to determine the protocol. And I could be wrong about the signaling.

I've seen a few people use a cheap AC SCR based control, then run that into a bridge rectifier to get noisy DC, which the motor doesn't seem to mind.

Also, finding a DC controller that will have that sensor integrated is unlikely. So I will probably lose that speed control feature
Forgot about that part!

Last edited:
I suspect you're right. There's too many functions going through too few wires back to the control board. That cable needs to bring power to the user board, and bring signaling back for the drive motor and the tilt motor.
I have been trying to find a DC motor controller on eBay but I'm not finding anything heavy duty enough that's not hundreds of dollars.

I have a DC motor and drive on my stroke sander from an industrial conveyor in the basement. It's older, relatively simple, and works great.
If I could find something like that, that'd be perfect.

If all else fails, I'm sure I could swap this out for a 2hp AC motor I have, but I like the speed control on the sander. And it would be a shame to waste that nice treadmill motor.

1512836535523306535916398969653.jpg

The KB brand SCR controllers have current sensing so they do maintain constant speed under varying loads. Maybe try to find one of those
on Ebay- there are other brands too like Dart controls and Dayton. All very similar and would work fine with your motor.
Mark S.

a lot of the treadmills were powered by the MC60 controller as the OEM controller
they are robust and fairly inexpensive to get.

+1 on the KB controllers, they are very nice too!!!

Are there 1 to 1-1/2 HP treadmill motors?

I'm interested in replacing the spindle on my Grizzly mill (704) but I'd like to stay in that power range. My main reason for wanting to change is really just to get faster spindle speeds and CNC control of Motor On/Off and speed.

I have 220 available, but just like a dryer outlet - not 3 phase. I run the Grizz on a 110 outlet with lots of other stuff so I know it could handle the load without popping breakers at inconvenient times.

Are there 1 to 1-1/2 HP treadmill motors?

I'm interested in replacing the spindle on my Grizzly mill (704) but I'd like to stay in that power range. My main reason for wanting to change is really just to get faster spindle speeds and CNC control of Motor On/Off and speed.

I have 220 available, but just like a dryer outlet - not 3 phase. I run the Grizz on a 110 outlet with lots of other stuff so I know it could handle the load without popping breakers at inconvenient times.
I am no expert on this, but my understanding is that you need a fairly high HP DC motor of the type used in treadmills if you want decent torque at low RPMs. 1 1/2 HP sounds like a lot, but you might be able to stop that motor from starting with your hand, depending on what you have. Also, many of those motors are not rated honestly. If you will not be going to use really slow motor speeds, then a smaller motor is probably just fine for many applications. Again, I am certainly no expert on this.

Back