"Hey Mister" Mister

I use Lenox Saw Master fluid in my mist cooler as well as in my bandsaw flood coolant. I have a waste basket with a couple of inches of bandsaw cuttings that are a few months old. They go into the basket wet and there is no sign of rust after all this time.

I wonder if propylene glycol would work in a water mix. To help stop rusting? Used it in my old tig for torch cooling. Never had any rust on steel parts. Low freeze point.

Roy
If you want to use these sort of substances then have a look at the smoke machine fluid used in night clubs and live theater, NOT the oil based type, its flammable, but water based type, not very expensive and non flammable. The patrons and staff and cast in night clubs and theaters breathe this all the time. I worked with it for 10 yeas no harmful effects. Because of it's high water content it will have a good cooling effect. and I believe its non corrosive.

This is just one brand out of many. Dozens of brands in Australia, probably hundreds in Nth America. They'e all very similar. and all do the same job, some a little better than others. I don't think any one has a patent on the formula. I might even give it a try myself one day, but I've just mixed up 20l of soluble oil so I won't need anything for a while.

I thought I would give a water misting sprayer a try so here is a photo of the unit. It seemed logical
to mount the mister on the indexing bar since the mister would easily be movable or removed if desired.
Water is an excellent coolant, much better than oil but probably not much lubrication. Water in order
to change state from liquid to a gas if I remember correctly from physics lab requires 540 calories per gram.
That's a lot of cooling. I have not actually used it yet but it does shoot out a nice mist and it is very
aimable and controllable as to the amount of volume. It might be great to keep a tool cool during
some hard to machine material, maybe like stainless. I havn't machined much stainless so that will be a new experience. These units are available very inexpensively (under $10 delivered). Basically you apply
air pressure to the unit and it will siphon water through a small hose and mix it with the air blast.

I call it my "Hey Mister".:fireman::DView media item 95737

Edit: I took my nozzle apart and found there is a small plastic tube inside the purple bendable
thing. There are different designs out there so I would look closely at the photos before you buy one. That way the mist is generated at the tip and the brass nozzle gives some control to the
spray.
If you are using straight water, watch out for rust and corrosion issues...

Has anyone ever tried to use an airline lubricator for this purpose?

Back